• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

August 17, 2019, 02:18:56 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Is limiting "slopes" possible?

Started by Zehryo, June 19, 2012, 11:36:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zehryo

Hi.

I'm trying to use WM2 to build a heightmap for Skyrim.

This software is great and I'm getting better and better at fine tuning my landscapes everyday, but now I'm facing a limitation in Skyrims' engine.

The problem is Skyrim's terrain mesh is not high poly enough to manage too sudden height drops and rises, so I get rips in the mesh when I use detailed maps from WM. Actually it can reproduce details like erosion channels pretty well, as far as the channels' sides are not too steep.

I can select these problematic areas through the slope selector, but then again, I cant take care of them directly.

Is there any way or any device that could help me smooth up these slopes without having to re-set the whole chain to dim erosions?

Thank you =)

Stephen

Hi there,

I'd suggest using the Thermal Erosion device -- effectively, it will selectively blur areas of the terrain that have a slope above the active rock slope that you specify. You will have to find the right slope angle that preserves the features you want but smooths the steepest sections.

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Zehryo

Good news!! =)

I've found a way to smooth up all those bad slopes with a different, faster and less "erosive" method!!

I've set a slope selector with a medium falloff range to selectively chose the areas that could cause tears in Skyrim's terrain meshes; then I've set a simple transform with the smoothing filter at max (could have tuned it a bit better, but I preferred to check the max achievable effect) so that the smoothing was limited to the specific areas and surroundings.

Then I've set a copy of these two devices to follow the first ones to refine the last bad areas, but with a narrow slope selector falloff.

Worked great!!! No tears in the terrain meshes for my Skyrim worldspace!! =)

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview