Author Topic: strange RMB behaviour  (Read 2992 times)

blackpixel

• Community Member
    • View Profile
strange RMB behaviour
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »
Hi!

I can't remember this has happened to me before.
When I right mouse click + drag in the device view it sometimes jumps back to layout view. Is this intended ?

To reproduce:
- open WM2.3 Pro beta 4 x64
- right click in the open device view space -> nothing happens ( as it should be ? )
- right click + drag also works
- now switch to layout view and then back to device view
- right clicking now always switches to layout view
- right click + drag sometimes switches to layout view when RMB is released

cheers

jaf

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: strange RMB behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
I can confirm that, but it only happens about once in five tries on my computer.

[edit] I just checked turning off, in preferences, "On World Build:" changed from "layout view" to "do nothing", but I still get the switch to Layout at seemingly random times, when right-clicking device view.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:29:38 AM by jaf »

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »
Hi there,

This is a "Vestigial feature" that I am still debating what should be done with.

World Machine has for a long time supported rapid view switching by right-clicking (without dragging) in any view. It will simply toggle between the current view and the last viewed view. When the program starts, this means right click does nothing as there is no previous view.

You can see how this is "supposed to work" by using the 3D view instead of the layout view as the alternate view. Right clicking will alternate between them.

Where things became problematic is that Layout View really wants that right click to be able to do certain things, such as editing shape parameters, and the annoyance of having the view switch when you, for example, slightly missed clicking on a shape, was judged to be annoying enough to disable the view switch for layout view.

It's really up to you guys if you think the right click switch should be removed entirely -- there is certainly lots more that could be done with a right click in the device view that was not added to preserve this functionality.

What should NOT be ever happening, however, is a view change if you've dragged the mouse while right clicking. If that is happening, its either a bug or a window message getting lost somewhere that is not letting WM be aware of the drag.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

blackpixel

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:03 AM »
Thx for the reply!

I am getting the drag / switch problem several times a minute :/
I think there should be an option to turn it off entirely for the device view. People who need the functionality could leave it on.
I personally never use fast switching.

OR you could change the device view navigation ( as an option of course )

In Foundry's Nuke for example you have :
LMB -> select ( as in WM )
MMB -> pan
Alt + MMB -> zoom
Mousewheel -> zoom ( as in WM )

this way you could avoid the RMB entirely for navigation.

Is there a possibility to implement a solution in the next beta build ? :)
We are currently using world machine in production and this bug is really annoying.

cheers