• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2019, 07:01:24 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Multiple input files

Started by TorQueMoD, January 11, 2013, 01:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TorQueMoD

Hey there,

So I was wondering if its possible to combine multiple input files into one terrain? For example, I want to use one input file for the central area of my terrain and another file for the outlying area (Out of bounds)
I tried combining two tiff files in photoshop and then bringing them back into WM but this utterly destroyed my height data. Would be awesome if this was possible in WM.

Stephen

Hi there,

This is absolutely possible!

Simply create two file input nodes and have each load its respective area. You can position the area where the file is placed if they aren't framed similarly. Then combine them together using a Combiner or Chooser (if a Chooser, you would provide a mask that shows which file to use in which area)
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

TorQueMoD

Interesting. So if I wanted the total terrain size to be 2048x2048 but the "inside" size 1024x1024, I could create the two height maps, then in photoshop create a black and white mask for example with a black fill and then a white 1K square in the center and plug the two terrain files into the appropriate slots in the chooser and it would work?  That's fantastic!

Stephen

Yup -- luckily its even easier than that -- if you are placing a smaller play area within a larger one for example, you can use the "Extents mask" output of the file input to drive the chooser, like this:

All you have to do is position the "in play" file input extents where you want them!
-- Stephen Schmitt

TorQueMoD

oh sweet that's awesome!

Will there be a hard edge between the two height maps, or will WM automatically smooth between the two?

Stephen

The extents output of the file input contains a fuzzy edge so there will be blending between them. To get really polished you can take that mask and "fuss it up" with noise or further smoothing.
-- Stephen Schmitt

TorQueMoD

Nice. Thanks Remnant. Do you have any tutorials on WM by the way? You seem to know what you're doing pretty well.

Zehryo

If you're interested, I've started writing a guide to build worldspaces for Skyrim (the videogame) using World Machine. It's incomplete and would use some refining, but I think it might help with learning the basics.

I'm attaching it, let me know what you think about it. ^^

TorQueMoD

That's a pretty good guide Zehryo. I already know the basics of WM from watching Wenda's tutorials on youtube so yours wasn't much different up until you got to page 15. (Not that the previous stuff is bad, it perfect for total beginners, I just personally already knew most of that stuff) I does seem like you go into a lot more depth from there on though so when I've got more time, I'll give it a proper read.

You should consider putting together a video tutorial. So much easier to follow. Cam Studio is a great little program for recording your screen.

jileha

Quote from: Zehryo on January 16, 2013, 05:43:06 am
If you're interested, I've started writing a guide to build worldspaces for Skyrim (the videogame) using World Machine. It's incomplete and would use some refining, but I think it might help with learning the basics.

I'm attaching it, let me know what you think about it. ^^

Thanks for your guide! I found it very helpful. Please let us know when you're done with it. It's a real cliff-hanger!  :lol:

jaf

Quote from: TorQueMoD on January 15, 2013, 05:18:32 pm
Nice. Thanks Remnant. Do you have any tutorials on WM by the way? You seem to know what you're doing pretty well.

Take a look at Remnant's signature on any of his posts. :D

TorQueMoD

Yeah I noticed that after. He's one of the designers isn't he?

jaf

Quote from: TorQueMoD on February 21, 2013, 11:53:18 am
Yeah I noticed that after. He's one of the designers isn't he?

The one and only, I believe.  And he treats everyone here with respect so one never feel intimidated.  Actually, that seems to include all the users that participate on this forum -- one of the forums it's a pleasure to visit every day.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview