• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2019, 10:19:46 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

WM2.3 Release Candidate: Wrong estimated memory required or an export bug?

Started by Takulas, February 15, 2013, 08:02:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Takulas

Hi,
I tried to export a 36K pixels heightmap and even though I have 64GB RAM on my system I wasn`t able to do that. The estimated required memory is less than the amount memory I have installed but it still gives me the message that there`s not enough memory. In task manager it shows even less memory used than the estimated one. Isn`t possible to save a 36K heightmap with 50GB free memory left on my system? Or is it a bug?
Thanks.

Stephen

Hi there,

Although these are large world sizes, you have the memory, so there should not be any obvious reason it won't work.

What format are you exporting? There might be a format specific bug in the file exporter.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Takulas

I tried only16 bit .png file format so far. I`ll try all the other ones and I`ll let you know.

Stephen

I believe there might indeed have been a bug in a temporary buffer allocation within the png writer for very large (larger than signed integer size) areas.

I have fixed this bug and it will roll into the next RC/final. A quick look through the other formats didn't reveal any similar issues; you should be able to export as a TIFF for example, in the interim.

-- Stephen Schmitt

tv033

Hi, is this fixed? I tried exporting a 16 bit png and I ran into an out of memory error, however a 16 bit .tif export works fine, so that leads me to believe this bug is still not fixed. Unless something else is going on. I have 16GB of ram and my page file max is set to 24,xxx (should it be larger?)

I am using a 16385 x 16385 resolution. Thanks!

Stephen

Hi there,

For clarification, are you exporting a bitmap or a heightfield?

EDIT: I've confirmed there is a bug in the PNG bitmap exporter for sizes that exceed 32bit integer size. This will be fixed shortly. Height field export is unaffected.

-- Stephen Schmitt

tv033

It was indeed a bitmap output. Great to see you already have a handle on the issue!

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview