Author Topic: What is a good way to keep a sense of scale?  (Read 4468 times)

Tecknowolf

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
What is a good way to keep a sense of scale?
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:54:01 PM »
While working with World Machine, I noticed that I was having problems keeping a sense of scale.  How do you guys keep your sense of scale?

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What is a good way to keep a sense of scale?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
I use ,show Water level, to see Z height scale

Tecknowolf

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »
True, but I mean for land deformation.  How big are those hills compared to a city block, or a building?

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
This is actually a very good question.. something that I constantly ponder myself. There are some interface changes I can envision that could help, but I am very curious what kinds of ideas people have or what techniques they currently use.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Tecknowolf

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
I personally was thinking of something I did with HeroEngine and Realmcrafter.  I would place a building on the terrain for perspective.  Knowing the diminsions of the building then I could see how big a hill or valley was and know if it was suitable. 

Maybe have an image of a building, nothing physical though, that would sit on top of the terrain at a specific point.
Another idea I got from Campaign Cartographer was a floating scale bar, that had both Kilometers and Miles.

Hope that helps, and the more I learn the more I am impressed with your software!

ivanhawkes

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
I have two techniques that are helping me out.

1.  Show water. I like to know what the outline of my zone looks like. The waterline is my anchor point for everything.
2. Grids in Photoshop files, one for each major size I tend to work in. I load it up as a diffuse map in Mudbox for the sculpting phase which is where almost all of my design work is done. They can also be overlayed onto the preview / etc using a photoshop like macro to blend them in (usually with overlay and 25-50% strength). You can merge them into the coverage file and import that into CryEngine to keep the scale sense in there until you are ready for a release.

The grid is a lot more detailed than a simple grid, allowing you to quickly see right down to a scale of meters, 64 x 64 meter blocks, or kilometers based on markers I laid out on it. I'll include an example. I chose 64 x 64 as the base size, since a pair of them gives you an oversized football field, and half of one gives you a nice 32 x 32 area for a large building. At 16 x 16 you are down to the size of a large house and lawn area. By finding something in your mind you can associate with the various grid subdivisions you can use it as a fast ready-reckoning tool.

Something like this would be nice built in as an overlay I can flick on and off rather than hacking it into place in the machine.

Tecknowolf

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »
Wow, very impressive, I love how you did exactly what I was imagining.  Very well done, thank you very much.!!!

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
mostly its just approximation based on perception. the real sense of scale comes after importing into vue or maya, and setting up camera, lenses and other visual aberrations

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
I am on to a macro to generate a overlay.
Here you see a overlay with a 100 meter grid.
But how can I drive the Gradient Width from Macro Parameters? Gradient Width goes from 0 to 256KM and the Macro parameters can only handle 0-1...???

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:02:13 PM by Hotshot »

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »
you would have to manually create a table of corresponding fractional values to specific km values. there is no way you can port real world scale into parameters of a macro, for now...

WFab

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 03:07:57 AM »
why don't you add a scalar parameter as-is???

Hotshot

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:51 AM »
This is how it looks.