Author Topic: WM support isn't there ... POS software. Not worth 10$  (Read 1874 times)

norpchen

• Community Member
    • View Profile
WM support isn't there ... POS software. Not worth 10$
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
We've tried using this software at our office, I wanted to believe it could work, but alas... it's crap.

Not only can you not 'roundtrip' data, but the limited formats and backwards coordinate system makes it more of a pain than anything else. All we wanted to do was import a DEM, tile it into pieces, maybe run a filter or two, and export it back to real world coordinates... Well you can forget that. Not only does it not work, but the limited support I initially got was cumbersome and completely amateur, but the support essentially stopped without any notice... Were my questions too difficult? Is the engineering company that I work at ( 10,000+ people ) not important enough for you?

Well I can tell you that we are not impressed whatsoever, and will not be recommending it to anyone.

LAME!!

Stephen

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: WM support isn't there ... POS software. Not worth 10$
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
I'm sorry you feel that way.

World Machine has its faults, as all software does, but it is very useful to a large number of artists and companies. I am always willing to refund a customers money who is not happy.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

hhildebr

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WM support isn't there ... POS software. Not worth 10$
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »
I was hesitant about bringing this thread up again. But since guests and people looking for a terrain generator might be rejected by reading something like this I could not leave this uncommented.

norpchen, you're probably long gone, but I can't believe you registered in the forum just for this first and only post. I don't know how much support you requested directly by e-mail, but there are many knowledgeable and helpful people here in the forums as well, and asking here wouldn't have hurt.

Also, my use case seems to be similar to yours: I import DEM data, smooth, modify, tile and export it, and then use the results in other applications. This works smoothly for me and produces very nice results. I only run into problems when working with massive terrains, and that is just the nature of the beast (memory issues etc).

I just can say, World Machine is a perfect match for my needs, and I encourage everybody interested to give it a try. It takes some time getting the feel for it, but it's well worth the effort!