• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

June 25, 2019, 03:45:09 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Loading LiDAR data

Started by D.J., November 04, 2013, 11:56:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

D.J.

Hi there:

I need a lot of help i'm a newbie to this software, I work for a LiDAR company and we have been asked to give samples of high point density LiDAR in a DEM format. Now creating a DEM is no problem in any resolution as that is a typical deliverable product we generate.  However the client is asking for the data in 16bit tif format and what we produce is a geotiff, which is slightly different in the format and that seems not to work correctly when loading it.   I think it comes down to the difference in the header of each file. Anyways I've looked through a number of post on this forum looking for alternatives and can see people have suggested a few formats such as terragen and BT terrain which I can export from global mapper or an older program called 3dem. I've tried both and the what global mapper outputs doesn't seem to load correctly, but when I create a terragen file with 3dems it seems ok.  However 3dems limits the resolution to only 0.5meter and I would like to give them 0.25m resolution.   Ok next problem is loading it in, I'm using the basic free version, I don't want to export anything I just want to test my samples to make sure it works.  So is there a tutorial out there that would show me how to load files in the the file input device properly. 

Thanks,

D.J.

Stephen

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. WM does not currently interpret GeoTIFF tagged data in any special way; they are treated as normal TIFF files. What kind of problems are you running into when loading them?
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

hhildebr

One thing that I remember having problems with: When I converted some DEM to tif format for World Machine using gdal, I had to explicitly tell it to convert to float format, not integer. Otherwise I couldn't import the files correctly.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview