Author Topic: Loading LiDAR data  (Read 2013 times)

D.J.

Loading LiDAR data
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi there:

I need a lot of help i'm a newbie to this software, I work for a LiDAR company and we have been asked to give samples of high point density LiDAR in a DEM format. Now creating a DEM is no problem in any resolution as that is a typical deliverable product we generate.  However the client is asking for the data in 16bit tif format and what we produce is a geotiff, which is slightly different in the format and that seems not to work correctly when loading it.   I think it comes down to the difference in the header of each file. Anyways I've looked through a number of post on this forum looking for alternatives and can see people have suggested a few formats such as terragen and BT terrain which I can export from global mapper or an older program called 3dem. I've tried both and the what global mapper outputs doesn't seem to load correctly, but when I create a terragen file with 3dems it seems ok.  However 3dems limits the resolution to only 0.5meter and I would like to give them 0.25m resolution.   Ok next problem is loading it in, I'm using the basic free version, I don't want to export anything I just want to test my samples to make sure it works.  So is there a tutorial out there that would show me how to load files in the the file input device properly. 

Thanks,

D.J.

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Loading LiDAR data
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 06:16:19 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. WM does not currently interpret GeoTIFF tagged data in any special way; they are treated as normal TIFF files. What kind of problems are you running into when loading them?
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

hhildebr

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Loading LiDAR data
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
One thing that I remember having problems with: When I converted some DEM to tif format for World Machine using gdal, I had to explicitly tell it to convert to float format, not integer. Otherwise I couldn't import the files correctly.