• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2019, 05:30:21 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Wish list

Started by bvz, February 08, 2006, 12:17:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be willing to buy and OSX version of WM?

yes (but only at the same price)
0 (0%)
no (don't have a mac, or happy to use my pc)
4 (57.1%)
yes, even if it costs twice as much
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: February 08, 2006, 12:17:09 pm

Fil

Quote from: bvz(...) It would be nice if the app automatically culled any nodes that were not linked to the current tree while it was building. (...)

Appending to what Nikita said, the yellow button also builds the world in this fashion, by only building what is "up-stream" from the selected device.
Fil.

nikita

At least, this multi resolution stuff could be implemented in the erosion device to allows to scale the channels.  :D
(This has been discussed in the forum before)

Another idea: A device, that sets things like terrain height and scale afterwards - shortly before... or even built-in the output-device.
Because - changing the scale after putting the network together will change everything and the height slider isn't very accurate. (eg. you can't enter values directly)
So this height- and scale slider wouldn't be neccesary anymore. The generators all have their own scale anyway.

ps: I should mention that if I provide workarounds for problems doesn't mean I am against the suggestions :wink: .
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

bvz

Fil,

Good idea with the "build to here" button.

I have some additional observations about that (did a little testing)...  If you have "Save the file every time the world machine is built" checked, it will successfully write the file out, but only the first time.  Every subsequent time you click "build to here", it does not write the file.  If, however, you change something upstream, it will once again write the file out.

bvz

Oh, and one more thing on the multi-resolutions stuff.  I find that I am painting many many masks for my terrains.  These masks can be quite lo-res but still operate on the full scale heightfield.  That's pretty cool.

Ben

bvz

Please let me know if all of these suggestions are getting annoying...

Another neat thing would be if you deleted a node, the input to that node became the input the the node immediately following the deleted node (obviously that would not work for a splitter as the system works now).  Basically, this would just remove a node from the tree, leaving the tree more or less intact.

Ben

nikita

Well - if you don't change something in the Network it isn't neccessary to write a new file?

The only thing, that is a bit annoying is, that some guys seem to ignore the edit button  :wink:
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

bvz

nikita,

doh!  you got me there :)  I was so focused on testing, that I didn't really think about the real world parameters.  Yes, if nothing has changed, there is no point in re-writing the file.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview