• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

July 23, 2019, 11:27:02 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Dumb question Heights??

Started by ppetersen, February 19, 2006, 10:55:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ppetersen

I know there are no dumb questions only dumb answers, but....

In the older version of WM,  all my terrains created were normal in the sense that they weren't covered with water or nearly covered with water in Terragen.

Now in the new version 1.25 (I purchased the standard edition) every terrain almost that I make I have to resize in height in Terragen.  Most of them are  covered with water with height ranges from -2104. something to -34. something or other high/low....

I have checked everywhere to figure out how to set the heights, and cannot find it.  

My usualy range unless I'm doing huge mountains is 0.m to between 2000m to 4000m

:) Thanks
Pat

Zipclaw

That is a known issue. You can get around this by changing the height of the loaded terrain in Terragen. Load your terrain as usual, then click on "Modify" in Landscape-Controls. Then the window "Terrain Modification" appears where you can change its height by entering higher values (like from 0 to 2104). Don't forget to click on "Set Height Range" after that. And this problem should be solved. :)
Proclaimed by a thousand prophets
Believed by a million fools
It's an endless line of tragedies
What is faith but another word for superstition
The Kovenant - Cybertrash

Fil

Hi,

Yes that is true..
It has to do with adding an extra bit of precision to the terrain output. The trouble is that that bit is also responsible for positive/negative values..
You now need to rescale things int TG, or "pull the cork" to drain the water down to the desired level..

Check this other thread for more details, work arounds, and possible plans for the future..

cheers,
Fil.

nikita

You can use a clamp device (from 0.5 to 1.0) before the output to avoid water.
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

ppetersen

Thanks all, that's what I've been doing is resizing in TG or 'pulling the cork'

I thought it was me doing something wrong with WM, now I know it's not I'll deal with it LOL.... :)

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview