Author Topic: Helpful requests for automation / teams / projects  (Read 1522 times)

hogjonny

• World Machine Veteran
  • Work hard, so you can play harder.
    • View Profile
    • bit-slap.me
Helpful requests for automation / teams / projects
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »
Hello,

I have a feature request (a few points I may have brought up before)

1. Relative input/output/paths:
These are obviously useful for project automation (build as well as !setup!), organization, etc.
  • You CAN already specify 'Default Relative File Path'
  • SOME nodes like 'File Input' and 'Heightfield File Output' support relative paths
  • Other nodes like 'Bitmap Output Properties' DO NOT support relative paths

It would be REALLY nice if everything supported relative paths!

2. Scripting support for modifying/setting file input and output

The WM automation is a great feature!  It would also be really fantastic if there was scripting support for setting up projects, files, node structure, input/output.  I can imagine the ability to fully automate and script the setup and build for a massive world built from tilesets.

Want to go the distance- add a python API!  I volunteer to help :)

Some context:
For my projects, I set up a template world.  We have a common folder structure and naming conventions, to help with automating preview builds, full-res builds, processing and converting.  Pretty much, I remove as many sets as possible from people's daily routine - so they can do what they do best creatively.

We have setup scripts, which clone the template to properly set up new worlds that match project conventions - the only real significant hurdle right now; is that after cloning a world, in order to ensure the world builds into the proper paths is to make sure they go touch every bitmap output node to make sure it's pointing to the proper location.

The biggest snafu is that this is error prone, it is easy to miss a node for example - and this is lost time if it's a mistake in a large world that takes hours to build full-resolution!

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: Helpful requests for automation / teams / projects
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
Hi,

Good suggestions. I agree -- there's no good reason for the bitmap output to not have relative paths, and will put it on the short term feature list.

I have toyed with the idea of embedding a python scripting API. It would certainly be a good pro-level feature, but its' a ways away at the moment.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine