• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

August 18, 2019, 05:21:09 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Combining complex terrain need help

Started by Peter, April 07, 2014, 02:48:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WFab

Considering your requirements, world machine and mudbox combo is still your best bet. Geocontrol is not that artist friendly, and frankly wm has the most compatible workflow with mudbox. Stamps work best when you need adjustable terrain features.

peter_sim

May 01, 2014, 11:06:50 am #21 Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:59:17 am by peter_sim
Hi again,

Yes i think that WM+Mudbox will be the most viable option but unfortunately i will have to test the other package before the decision is taken.

WM could grab all the video game market for terrain creation if they focused on just that ,making efficient way of dealing with isolated features and scale on large size world.

Best regards Peter

WFab

Well you CAN adjust isolated features in worldmachine, it's just a question of experience. Forum user Ben http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?action=profile;u=222 has a spectacular demonstration for that! See reply 69 http://forum.world-machine.com/index.php?topic=909.msg10038#msg10038

peter_sim

OK so far we give WM to 3 others artists(season veterans in 3D) and they are struggling with their workflow and even me after close to 2 weeks i can say that precise control is a very frustrating experience for a massive world creation, i have no problem making small terrain with isolated volcano or mountain but i just forgot about having them on a massive continent since they lose all the erosion detail when scale down.

Also how do you people control precise height of terrain on specific location without destroying the terrain detail already there? I know about masking but it is no easy task to make a region getting lower down to match the water level of a swamp area.

How can i use erosion only on a selected feature without affecting the entire continent?

How do you make the connection for the displacement filter without having to plug in another terrain generator?

It is a very good program but a lot of thing are cumbersome to create and kill the staff production and no offense here but the user manual is not very good at explaining the software probably because English is not the native language of the author.

There is many video tutorials but they all repeat themselves doing the same thing over and over and no one cover massive continents creation with detail features on it dealing with the scale issue.

My advice to game developer is that WM is really good to make small map for battlefield  but forget about a MMO world since you will need to do most of the work in Mudbox .

Regards Peter

WFab

1. To scale a particular part of terrain to increase height and bottom out lower parts, select the part using layout generator, then use clamp filter to normalize output.
2. Mask input works on every device. Use layout generator device to isolate area then plug the mask to the mask input of erosion device to erode isolated area.
3. I do not understand what you mean by making connection to the displacement filter.

Finally I think english IS the native laguage of the author, and I did learn all this from the manual! There are very few tutorials out there, and I find the manual to be a good reference guide, although I don't need it often, since the program is intuitive enough!

Cheers!

peter_sim

A little update here,

After learning by trials and errors we finally have a solid grasp of WM nodes and just dig a little deeper in the scalar nodes i can say that the steep learning curve is well worth the effort.

We realize that most of our problem regarding resolution was the evident limit of 512 from the basic edition.

We have discard Grome and all the other terrain softwares since either the price is prohibitive or the program doesn't have the level of control that WM offer.

The only thing left before we proceed to buy it would be a trial of the multi resolution and terrain tiling features of the pro version so is this possible before we buy?

Stephen

Hi Peter,

If you shoot me an email at [email protected], I can set you up with a time-limited, fully functional version of the Professional Edition to try.

Cheers
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

peter_sim

Hi  Stephen,

Thank that sound great and i will send you an email tonight.

Regards Peter

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview