• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 23, 2019, 04:51:04 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Trouble Loading Macros

Started by NightGamerFX, May 07, 2014, 03:16:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NightGamerFX

Hello all, I have a problem. I can't seem to load any Macros. I tried going under Devices/Macro from Library. Then I tried going under the Macros tab then clicking on the folder...That doesn't seem to work either. All the macros are in the folder they're supposed to be in....It worked before a few weeks ago...But not now...Not sure what I did last time. Could something have been broken? *shrugs*

Thank you very much in advance!

Stephen

Hi there,

I've had a couple reports of this pop up only relatively recently -- the invalid path message is being sent directly from the windows API -- so it might be something other than World Machine changing.

I'd like to try to find some commonalities. What version of windows are you running under?

I was corresponding with another gentleman who had this problem and it auto magically fixed itself when he uninstalled, deleted his World Machine Documents folder under his name, and re-installed. I strongly suspect its a windows file system permission issue.

Cheers
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

NightGamerFX

May 07, 2014, 04:51:19 pm #2 Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 04:54:41 pm by NightGamerFX
Thanks for the reply Remnant.

"What version of windows are you running under?"

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Bit

"I was corresponding with another gentleman who had this problem and it auto magically fixed itself when he uninstalled, deleted his World Machine Documents folder under his name, and re-installed."

I recently did the same thing (I upgraded to the Professional version for the added features)...Seems as if the Professional version is having the same issue (using the developer version, but also downloaded the regular version just in case :p). I guess I can try uninstalling it again...I shall notify you if it works or doesn't.

NightGamerFX

I tried uninstalling and re-installing...Nothing...Is...working...

Stephen

I'm rather baffled by what's occuring -- I"m also certain its related to file permissions, but I'm not sure how further to track this down.

Question: If you open up any device that WM includes that should have presets included (like the Erosion device, or Colorizer), can you see them, or are they missing as well?
-- Stephen Schmitt

NightGamerFX

Quote from: Remnant on May 14, 2014, 05:58:54 pm
Question: If you open up any device that WM includes that should have presets included (like the Erosion device, or Colorizer), can you see them, or are they missing as well?

Yes, I can use those. Everything is working fine so far, except the macros.

Stephen

Here's a test:

When you launch World Machine, instead of clicking on it like normal, right click and choose "Run as administrator".

Can World Machine access its macros now?

Also, during the first run of the application, did you allow it to create a folder for you containing the example files, macros, etc?
-- Stephen Schmitt

Stephen

Anyone who is experiencing the macro paths problem:

When you are editing the paths preferences, and you click the "OK button", WM then will pop up a message and complain that the paths are invalid.

While that dialog box is popped up, can you  please do the following:

1) Go to the Windows Task Manager
2) Find World Machine in the application list
3) Right-click and select "Create Dump File"
4) Attach the resulting dump file to an email and mail me at [email protected]

This will help discover what is the root cause of these issues.
-- Stephen Schmitt

NightGamerFX

Quote from: Remnant on May 16, 2014, 03:27:24 pm
Here's a test:

When you launch World Machine, instead of clicking on it like normal, right click and choose "Run as administrator".

Can World Machine access its macros now?

Also, during the first run of the application, did you allow it to create a folder for you containing the example files, macros, etc?

I tried all of that but nothing worked. Also when I install WM, it just ask for a directory of the program and nothing else.

NightGamerFX

Stephen

The Documents folder is created when you first run the application, instead of on installation. To trigger a completely fresh first run experience again, try the following:

1) Re-name your existing "World Machine Documents" folder to something else, like "World Machine Backup Docs"
2) Go to C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Roaming, and delete the folder labelled "World Machine 2.2 Professional" (or Standard, if that is the applicable version)
3) Run World Machine. You will be prompted for a user name and registration key again. The next page of the startup wizard after that will ask if you want to have a documents folder created. Make sure you just leave it set to the default yes.

Can you access the new macro folder?

I received the crash dump file, but unfortunately everything (paths, etc) looked fine. What anti-virus software do you use if any?
-- Stephen Schmitt

NightGamerFX

May 18, 2014, 06:07:12 pm #11 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:09:21 pm by NightGamerFX
Quote from: Remnant on May 18, 2014, 03:48:58 pm
Can you access the new macro folder?

Yes...Yes I can  :D
I thank you so much for your help...If I could, i'd buy you a beer or two!

Quote from: Remnant on May 18, 2014, 03:48:58 pm
I received the crash dump file, but unfortunately everything (paths, etc) looked fine. What anti-virus software do you use if any?

For what it's worth, i'm using F-Secure.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview