• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

August 17, 2019, 07:38:11 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Requesting some relatively simple things in WM3 dev2

Started by gigigonzalez1988, October 06, 2014, 05:38:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gigigonzalez1988

October 06, 2014, 05:38:01 pm Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:40:09 pm by gigigonzalez1988
Hi, Ive been buggin alot on the forums about possibilities, let me sum up the stuff im missing in WM and I think should've been implemented as part of the core functionality.

- Random Path Chooser (Device)
-------------------------------
A device which handles as many outputs as it possibly can, the device chooses a path to take based on the "Randomize World". Lets say you have 4 File inputs which should randomly be taken, or 4 Perlin noise generators. Pretty straight forward uh?

- Randomize World Coordinates (Non-device)
Implement an option to randomize world X/Y coordinates based on "Randomize World" wherever the X/Y coordinates are found in devices, this especially makes sense in the File Input device. Imagine i made a massive base world with a png file of 4096x4096, im using the mirror option now to mirror the picture, so when i move the landscape with the X/Y coordinates i can essentially create a landscape that totally looks different than before. Doesnt it make sense to have X/Y randomized then too?

- Rotate Device (Device)
Essentially rotate anything what gets put in the input of the device. It can essentially be done with the flipper device i believe, but still.

The first suggestion is by far the most important for me, im not sure if this is already achievable.
The second suggestion is also quite high on my list.

At first glance it doesnt seeem to be overly complicated to achieve as most things can easily be hooked upon the "Randomize World" function.

TYVM
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

gigigonzalez1988

World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

Stephen

Interesting idea. Both of the first two requests can be mostly achieved with the new localspace and scatter device support in 3.0.dev1.

First, how to partially do this already:

Import your base world as a localspace map, then connect it (and possibly any variant maps you want as in request#1) to the scatter device. The scatter device will put these in random locations around the world; you can change the seed value to randomize, control how frequently they occur; and much more.

The only thing you're missing here is that the scatter device does not yet respond to the randomize command, but it should.

Regarding the device suggestions:

Device-wise, all that is needed and most broadly useful is one or two simple "randomize" parameter devices which respond to the randomize world command and output a value from their defined range. For example, it could be piped to the already-existing "Route Picker" device to choose a random path as in request #1, or piped to a coordinate generator device to fulfill request #2.

A rotate device is highly requested but problematic as it would not be compatible with tiled or layout views, similar to the flipper device.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

gigigonzalez1988

gigigonzalez1988

Quote from: Remnant on October 22, 2014, 02:59:12 pm
Interesting idea. Both of the first two requests can be mostly achieved with the new localspace and scatter device support in 3.0.dev1.

Import your base world as a localspace map, then connect it (and possibly any variant maps you want as in request#1) to the scatter device. The scatter device will put these in random locations around the world; you can change the seed value to randomize, control how frequently they occur; and much more.

The only thing you're missing here is that the scatter device does not yet respond to the randomize command, but it should.

Device-wise, all that is needed and most broadly useful is one or two simple "randomize" parameter devices which respond to the randomize world command and output a value from their defined range. For example, it could be piped to the already-existing "Route Picker" device to choose a random path as in request #1, or piped to a coordinate generator device to fulfill request #2.

A rotate device is highly requested but problematic as it would not be compatible with tiled or layout views, similar to the flipper device.

I cannot yet find a device that generates a random number (or ccordinate) that can be plugged into any device yet. I couldnt derive from your message whether this device already existed or not.

ilbiffi

Quote from: gigigonzalez1988 on November 08, 2014, 07:36:45 pm
Quote from: Remnant on October 22, 2014, 02:59:12 pm

I cannot yet find a device that generates a random number (or ccordinate) that can be plugged into any device yet. I couldnt derive from your message whether this device already existed or not.

I think it doesn't, but would be much needed.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview