• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

July 22, 2019, 03:37:06 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

A couple questions.

Started by Peregrinus, October 25, 2014, 11:07:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peregrinus

Hello,

I recently purchased the standard edition of WM and I've been enjoying it greatly. I have a couple questions about memory usage because I'm struggling with it a little.

1. Is disk paging terribly slow? So much that isn't really a viable option? I let WM use 80% of my 8GB, which was not enough for an 8K build, so it had to page 3.5GB. It took an hour and 44 minutes, which I didn't think was that bad. Previous builds that didn't need to use disk swapping went over an hour, it didn't seem to slow it down that much. I have WM installed on my SSD, but I have my default path for documents set to another drive. Which one does it use for swapping? I've been planning on upgrading my RAM, would a total of 24GB be sufficient for a mostly simple 16K build?

2. I thought I could bring down the memory requirement by eliminating the coloring macro I was using. But deleting it did not change WM's recommendation for memory on the parameters window. Does it not factor the macros in? I assume they effect it, since some are rather complex. I was thinking I could just select parts of the terrain and create a splatmap with fewer nodes and save RAM.

3. This terrain will be used in the Unreal Engine, and my 8K splatmap is 256MB, It's an 8-bit TIFF file. I'm not entirely certain, but I think that Unreal stores it on the GPU and 256MB is way too much for a single file. I can use a different format and compression to bring it down, but is there anything I can do in WM to maintain high quality while bringing the file size down?

Thanks.

Stephen

Hi there,

1) With an SSD, swapping is not desirable but its not the death knell that it often is with a regular HDD. WM will swap to the folder specified in Preferences->Paths->Temporary File Location. I can't comment on if 24GB would be enough for a 16k world -- the amount of memory required depends heavily on the device network.

2) If you are using memory conservation mode (which I recommend for large final builds), extra steps in the network won't increase memory use -- memory use is related more to the number of simultaneous paths (packets of data) in the network that need to be used at once.

3) Inside of WM, all RGB data is stored as 3 32bit floating point channels, so they're pretty much as high fidelity as you can get. You can usually get away with a smaller splatmap, since it is merely guiding the placement of your primary textures.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Peregrinus

Thank you for the quick reply. My network is already too complex for 16K to be feasible without swapping, but I'm a patient man.  :D

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview