• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

August 17, 2019, 08:57:45 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Scattering Device Increase Input limit to 256 at least :p

Started by gigigonzalez1988, November 21, 2014, 09:31:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gigigonzalez1988

Scattering Device Increase Input limit to 256 at least :p

Saves me from having to create like 20 seperate devices and all the corresponding masks/expanders to make sure nothing gets placed on top of each other :)

I hope 16 is not a technical limitation.
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

gigigonzalez1988

November 21, 2014, 05:22:41 pm #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:38:01 am by gigigonzalez1988
bump bump  :lol:
http://i.imgur.com/2WSQlxK.png
Me placing islands around the land mass. Using masks for each side to indicate where islands where previously positioned so they do not get overwritten by the next set. A bit complicated but it works.

Scatter Madness :p This are only half the assets i have. Atm im using two pictures, one horizontal and one vertical, and use flipper device to mimic the other two rotations so i have a total of 4 directions. This is as optimized as i can get it atm. The device would benefit greatly from:

- Multi threading
- Remove 16 Input limit
- A Rotate device with (random) toggle

I probably wouldnt need so much expanders each step either when the 16 limit is raised, because per device it wont override its own placements, only in between scatter devices.
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

gigigonzalez1988

ronan.thibaudau

Quote from: gigigonzalez1988 on November 21, 2014, 05:22:41 pm
bump bump  :lol:
http://i.imgur.com/2WSQlxK.png
Me placing islands around the land mass. Using masks for each side to indicate where islands where previously positioned so they do not get overwritten by the next set. A bit complicated but it works.

Scatter Madness :p This are only half the assets i have. Atm im using two pictures, one horizontal and one vertical, and use flipper device to mimic the other two rotations so i have a total of 4 directions. This is as optimized as i can get it atm. The device would benefit greatly from:

- Multi threading
- Remove 16 Input limit
- A Rotate device with (random) toggle

I probably wouldnt need so much expanders each step either when the 16 limit is raised, because per device it wont override its own placements, only in between scatter devices.

Damn, that DOES look like a huge pain to maintain :)

gigigonzalez1988

December 02, 2014, 10:45:29 am #4 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:53:19 am by gigigonzalez1988
Yeah lol. the biggest pain is the masks to make sure non get to overlap each other, expanders required for that, and alot of fine tuning.

Without the 16 limit cap it would be much less of a pain, i could just dump all the equally sized pictures onto one device each (1024/768/512/256 etc), since the scatter device cannot support different sized pictures without losing their original scale. A (random) rotation device like flipper would easy the pain even more :p

Shows how important certain functionalities/improvements can be.

I can't wait for the next WM version :(

Stephen

The current variation input approach was essentially a quick hack to get them in; automatic random rotation and/or scaling of the scattered objects is intended, just not implemented yet!
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

gigigonzalez1988

December 02, 2014, 01:56:50 pm #6 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:58:48 pm by gigigonzalez1988
Oh I remnant! Good to hear! (And to hear your voice again!)

I've seen you being active but just not talking much, which is probably a good thing lol.

Just curious about the current scale slider then. Was that also just a quick hack and not (or optionally) intented for the final device? :O

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview