Author Topic: Can I do this with World Machine  (Read 3355 times)

Kiwi-Hawk

Can I do this with World Machine
« on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Kia ora

I do a lot of modding for myself in games like Oblivion and Skyrim that use NIF files and
.dds format textures eg: 

Texture - ground_cover.dds,
Normal -  ground_cover_n.dds
specular- gorund_cover_s.dds

1/ Can I out put these in dds format or would I need to convert them?
2/ can I use an image as a reference and plot out my world, say an island of a pre-determined  shape?
3/ Can I use masks to lock levels/elevations so as note to change them, eg the flat lands with paths tracks and
    smoothed inhabited areas. thus allowing me to tweak the mountains to make steeper or more eroded/natural looking?
4/ Plot, say a hidden path up through a mountain range that winds through a small pass between ridge's or pecks in a mountain
   range?
5/ Can I pop that small preview window at the top left of the screen out to place on my second monitor for a better view?
6/ Can I export a greyscale heightmap image of my worldspace?

I think at this point (with limited knowledge) my process you be a little like:

Use World Machine to create the the worldspace and get it how I wish it to be,
export a greyscale heightmap image (if this is possible) at 75% or less for the game engine to handle
or it spicks and tears, use TESAnnwyn (you may need to google this OS tool) to create an esp
file with the worldspace in it to start building my world.

Not sure if I can link to my dropbox
these are messy starts to what I'm trying to do, the blueish image is taken from the heightmap editor
in the Creation Kit that comes with Skyrim

Kia ora

I do a lot of modding for myself in games like Oblivion and Skyrim that use NIF files and
.dds format textures eg: 

2/ can I use an image as a reference and plot out my world, say an island of a pre-determined  shape?
3/ Can I use masks to lock levels/elevations so as note to change them, eg the flat lands with paths tracks and
    smoothed inhabited areas. thus allowing me to tweak the mountains to make steeper or more eroded/natural looking?
4/ Plot, say a hidden path up through a mountain range that winds through a small pass between ridge's or pecks in a mountain
   range?
5/ Can I pop that small preview window at the top left of the screen out to place on my second monitor for a better view?

export a greyscale heightmap image (if this is possible) at 75% or less for the game engine to handle
or it spicks and tears, use TESAnnwyn (you may need to google this OS tool) to create an esp
Kia ora

.dds format textures eg: 

range?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5us63krw42szbym/AADwSChltO9_0l4S_OcyYOMya?dl=0

Thank you for your time, this is looking easyer to use than my other option and seemingly as a means to
plot paths to use as paths, rivers and other like option such as roads etc

Cheers

gigigonzalez1988

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Can I do this with World Machine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
Uhhh. is that a triple post in 1? A bit hard 2 read
World Machine 3 Professional 3.0dev x64, Win7 Ultimate, Intel i7 3770k 4.5Ghz, Scythe Mugen 4, 32GB Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 670GTX, Coolermaster Silent 750W

Kiwi-Hawk

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
Kia ora

Now that I have access I can maybe try and fix this, or do I maybe post it in the member area?

Anyway sorry
I posted this as a quest and had no control over the post as it needed to be moderated before it was released.
As far as I can tell it was a single post.

It should read, cut:

***********************************************************************************
Kia ora

.dds format textures eg:

range?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5us63krw42szbym/AADwSChltO9_0l4S_OcyYOMya?dl=0

Thank you for your time, this is looking easyer to use than my other option and seemingly as a means to
plot paths to use as paths, rivers and other like option such as roads etc

Cheers

**************************************************************************************

Having looked at the software a little I take it I can control layers/elevation levels so that things like lakes waterways
can be shaped and frozen to keep that shape and pathways do not get cleared out totally.

I have an area at say approx 200m with a lake and water ways embedded, I would like these to be close to a fixed
shape, the water ways running to form water falls into the lake in a fixed form but natural looking

this is very ruff screen shot taken from with in the Creation Kit. hand crafted and not so natural

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0urelug22kcmgto/Artaeum.png?dl=0

Construc

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
1- you can export as a Tiff which converts to dds well but yes you will need to convert it yourself
2- yes, its super easy to do, there's a few examples that show you how.
3- yes, thats super easy to do too.
4- yes, use the layout generator
5- yes, with the pro version you can have another window on another monitor (or side-by-side)
6- thats... basically wold machine's primary function. so yes.

As for your unnatural looking world, using just the erosion node you could make it look pretty good.
Use the file input node to bring your image in, load it through a layout generator and start placing in your rivers and paths, then use erosion to make it look all pretty :)

Kiwi-Hawk

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:40 AM »
Kia ora

Thank you for your reply.

I see reading here the general theme of most build is more on a realistic natural real life creation style
not so much fantasy, but even fantasy land need to look some what realistic, well at least possible.

I could handle having the central land area ruffly the same, lake, water ways etc
and change the mountains and upper lake to be more natural to make it more normal, it really the water ways
I'm after as that as a village build with in that space with connecting bridges and walkways that are some what
enchanting and Elven in style. having the rest some what more normal is not out of the way