Author Topic: It's been 11 days! WTF?  (Read 1810 times)

meta_leap

It's been 11 days! WTF?
« on: December 16, 2014, 02:59:09 AM »
11 days have passed since I invested in WM Pro and still my forum account hasn't been activated :| :oops: :evil:

What's the story, morning glory?

Also I'm generating outside (own program) for WM-import a 8192x8192 raw16 (uint16) little-endian heightfield but "file input" dialog doesn't seem to recognize the range in that file, values range from 0..2214 but when "natural (file) elev" is selected under "altitude scaling", it goes from "0.0 (0m)" until "0.03 (75.0669m)" even though in "project world parameters", "terrain altitudes" is set from base 0m to max 2222m.

Also I have no real idea how to properly import the heightfield. Here's the story:

• World is 22x22km and exported as tiles that'll enable 1m elevation resolution
  • Input "base heightfield" is 8192x8192 elevations spanning the 22x22km entirely
  • While the imported height points should not be changed by other generators/filters, I want the terrain to apply some mild fractal-resolution / noisy interpolation between those imported elevation points (to "fully utilize" the 1m resolution if you will), which themselves however need to remain as "unmodified real-world/original elevation points"

Not sure whether to plug a perlin as a filter into the file-input or file-input's height output into one of perlin's inputs.... and then, shaping guide? Persistence guide? Distortion guide? The docs for those don't sound at all like what I need..

Confusion, confusion, confusion!

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Re: It's been 11 days! WTF?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in activating your account.

The input sizing works like this: the maximum elevation value of your 16bit raw is apparently 2214. That value is converted to WM's floating point elevation range by comparison to the maximum possible unsigned 16 bit raw, so: 2214/65535 = 0.034. This is then scaled by your project elevation range to get the value in meters.

If you want your input to span the entire elevation range you set in your project dialog, simply set it to "Full Range" instead of "Natural". Note that if you re-export this as a 16bit raw, the result will span 0..65535. If you want to maintain your original range, then keep the "natural" elevation range. As an aside, I don't know what you're using your output for, but you're almost certain to encounter banding/terracing and other artifacts having an input range that low -- you only have about 11 bits of precision there.

To add fractal detail without changing any point values, I highly recommend using the current dev build of WM 3 currently available on the update site. In the File Input device, you will find fractal interpolation as a rescaling method: this will do what you want with a minimum of fuss. Most other techniques inside of WM are not guaranteed to leave your original height values untouched without careful calculation and alignment of the noise.

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine