Author Topic: Issues making 'badlands' terrain  (Read 2283 times)

WhiteHyena

Issues making 'badlands' terrain
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »
Hey guys- I'm currently trying out the WM demo and I'm enjoying it so far but I've got a few issues that I'm hoping can be solved.

Firstly a pretty general niggle- In a lot of pics/screenshots of peoples work in WM they seem to achieve a far higher level of detail than I've been able to. Ultimately I'm hoping to use WM to create an environment for Unreal Engine 4 so I'm just curious what I'm doing wrong here? My creations look ok.. but also kinda blurry and vague.. All the pics I find online look sharp and detailed.

Here's the big issue I'm having. I want to create a very specific environment-

The main issues I'm having so far is that I can never seem to get both fairly flat terrain in combination with occasional 'spikey' areas.. it's either all flat or it's all spikey! I've also got an issue where I want to create specific areas myself- As I'm trying to build a UE4 map I want some spike-hills in a specific location but not others etc.. I've been trying to use the Layout generator but anything I seem to make within that then looks awful and really stands out (in a bad way!) once I add it into everything else.

So yeah.. has anyone else tried to crate this style of world and if so, any pointers please? ^^

ozdeadmeat

• World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Issues making 'badlands' terrain
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
I am trying to create something similar also.

ilbiffi

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Issues making 'badlands' terrain
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:58:51 AM »
This is an example for you to study. Two very different generators are combined and masked. The mask can be any source you prefer, but it will have an effect on the shape of those spikey areas you want to achieve.