• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

July 22, 2019, 03:34:18 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Adding more height to an area of terrain

Started by Calsa, December 01, 2005, 09:47:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calsa

I have separated my terrain into 3 groups that rep-resend the height of the map High, Midway, and Lower.  The lowest level is a valley I made by making a very wide river using the river 2 macro.  The bottom of the valley is as low as World Machine will allow (pure black).  What I want to do is raise the height of the valley as a whole so I can intern make a new river inside the valley it that is "Carving" it out.  So my question is since I have the valley area already split off from the other two areas what kind of device could I use to raise the entire split off area up (make the entire section brighter / more white)
RenWerX
Level Design Lead
http://www.renwerx.com

Fil

Hmm, So from what I understand you have a terrain that is the lower third of the total height, and you want to raise the floor keeping its 1/3 of total height.

Note that doing what I will describe (treating this third differently from the other two) will most likely change the slope, and you'll notice a crease in the junction between the lower and the middle thirds of the terrain. In order to avoid this, you should use a clamp device on the entire terrain, not just this third.

Anyway, let's examine the problem:
basicaly you want to scale only one part of the terrain (which I assume you have it already: let's say it is the 3rd output of a Height Slplitter [number of bands = 3; reduce to zero]). But you want to scale it with the center of scaling being the top-most height of that 1/3 of total height.

Use a Clamp device [Normalize Input = true]. Inside the properties, you can click the Find Extents button, to fill the ranges value for you. After this, choose the Clamp clamp style (as it probably changed), and adjust the lower range to match your taste. Et voilá!. It should be done!

To add this part of the terrain back to the others, you may need to use an "inverted height select" (inverter -> Select height) as a mask to only pick up the actual area of interest.

Hope this helped.

(*) - There is a known issue when entering ranges numerically in the clamp device, so if you want a value you cannot reach with the slider, use the parameter system and connect a scalar generator device with the desired value in it.
Fil.

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview