• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2019, 02:24:29 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Any video/post that could explain me some of the most important maps?

Started by AgusLan, August 27, 2017, 05:26:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AgusLan

I'm familliar with all the usual 3d maps like diffuse and normal but here I'm getting a bit confused with maps like Erosion and Flow and i'd like to understand them.

Thanks!

Vision4Next

If a mountain is eroded the water and debris flows down the hill. The flow map is an alpha map, which simply represents the strength and amount of the flow. You normally use it as mask or for coloring the terrain in certain colors. The deposit map is an alpha map as well and shows the amount of the deposition of eroded material on the landscape. It can be used in a similar way as the flow map.

I really recommend to watch some of the tutorials at GeekAtPlay Studio. You'll find them at Youtube and they show quite nicely, how you can use the maps/masks in a program like Vue to distribute certain materials over the landscape.

agustin

Quote from: Vision4Next on August 27, 2017, 09:25:43 pm
If a mountain is eroded the water and debris flows down the hill. The flow map is an alpha map, which simply represents the strength and amount of the flow. You normally use it as mask or for coloring the terrain in certain colors. The deposit map is an alpha map as well and shows the amount of the deposition of eroded material on the landscape. It can be used in a similar way as the flow map.

I really recommend to watch some of the tutorials at GeekAtPlay Studio. You'll find them at Youtube and they show quite nicely, how you can use the maps/masks in a program like Vue to distribute certain materials over the landscape.

Thanks!

I'll check those out.

Are those videos useful to use with a game engine like UE?

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview