• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

June 17, 2019, 02:08:28 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

New_to_WM: Set height restriction?

Started by JamesChao, November 06, 2017, 06:14:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesChao

Hi, I'm new to World Machine.  I have a general question in regard to integrating WM workflow into Unreal4 I was wondering if WM veterans can advice?

In general, most workflow tutorials that I've found is to generate terrain/landscape from WM first, and then import into Unreal4, and goes from there.  I was wondering, what if I would like to do this the other way around?  What I meant is starting a rough Landscape from Unreal4 first, export the height map to WM, run through all sorts of filters, and then re-import the new result back into Unreal4?

More specifically, this is the problem that I ran into:  I would like to create a very rough layout from Unreal4 based on game design need, bring it to WM, do stuff, and then back into Unreal4.  Visually, this workflow is doable and I can roughly control where I want specific terrain features.  However, because of game design needs, some sections in the rough Unreal4 draft needs to be at fairly precise game-play height.  With WM, most of the filters and generators really wants to drastically modify the heights (as it should be). 

So perhaps my workflow is wrong and I should just let WM does what it wants to do and adjust game design accordingly.  That being said, I was wondering if your WM veteran artists have use the workflow as I described and has a methodology to control the final gameplay heights from WM filters?  The height doesn't have to be super-precise because I understand that defeats the point.  But can it be control into a reasonable range, so that the WM final looks more like a detailed version of the original rough input in terms of specific terrain features, so that any gameplay already designed can still work?

Thanks!

Lorenzor

I want to learn more about these information, where should I go?
sbo

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview