Author Topic: Option for left-mouse to default to box-select instead of pan  (Read 714 times)

mattnava

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Option for left-mouse to default to box-select instead of pan
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
Hi, congratulations on the release of Mailbox Peak! Its great! One small request:

The default left-mouse drag action is now panning instead of box-select. I actually much preferred the old behavior of the default left mouse drag action being box select, as right-click dragging already covers panning. This old behavior relieves basic selection and panning from requiring keyboard buttons. It seems trivial to include a checkbox option to switch between the two behaviors.

Thanks!

Matt Nava

WM_Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Option for left-mouse to default to box-select instead of pan
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Hi Matt,

Thanks so much! It was super exciting to get the Mailbox Peak release out. Thanks for the feedback - people were asking for it the other way (that it changed to), but you're absolutely right, it makes you dependent on using a keyboard now. On a laptop, using the right-click option is a huge pain, but on a desktop, having to use the computer keyboard is probably equally annoying. I like the idea of a checkbox you can toggle (that might even help if you're switching to work on World Machine between a desktop and a laptop). I agree it doesn't sound like it should be too hard to implement, but you never know how these things might go. :) I'll definitely look into it - enjoy using Mailbox Peak!

mattnava

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »
Hi,

Thank you so much for the response and for understanding my perspective/use case! I really appreciate it. I hope it does turn out to be a trivial feature  :)

Matt Nava

WM_Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
Good news!  Go to preferences and user interface in the latest dev release (just released yesterday!) and you will now have the option to select how you want that left-mouse click to operate. Hope that helps, enjoy the new release!

- Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator :)

mattnava

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »
Oh my god thank you so much! This is wonderful. This really made my day! And thank you sooo much for the maya style camera control in the viewport. Awesome update  :D

WM_Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • World Machine Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
Awesome!! So glad that's helpful - and the Maya-style camera control has been awesome to use internally here at WM, too! I get why people were requesting it. :D