• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2019, 04:24:16 pm

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Layout generator, lines between shapes

Started by Dementei, June 24, 2018, 05:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dementei

There probably isn't a way to solve this, but I'm placing mountains on an island in it's own layout generator and then combining it with the island layout generator. The problem is that there are noticeable lines where mountains intersect and really throws the look off. Anyone got tips other than to keep them obviously apart? Thanks.

sfriedberg

Use a blending mode to do more of an "averaging" effect, instead of a "maximum" effect.

Dementei

July 05, 2018, 08:08:35 pm #2 Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:14:32 pm by Dementei
Ah hmm, by blending mode, do you mean the falloff profile curve? Got an example for me please? For the combiner between mountains/islands it's set to Average at 0.5 strength, but the lines occur from the beginning in the island layout generator.

Zehryo

No, he means you should use a "combiner" device and set it to "Average" mode (which should be the default anyway).

You're right those lines are not something you can prevent, since you're basically mixing two hemispherical shapes.
What you could do is making them as a one single shape.

Usually, when I want to make a chain of hills or mountains, I use simple lines and I give vertices different heights (right click on a vertex and select "Enter precise value...").
This way I can manually set the altitude of the area where the falloff of two peaks encounter, leaving no "wrinkles".

I see how using circles makes all the sense in the world, but I find it to be a very stiff way to create elelvations.
Anyway, passing the whole bunch of elevations into one single erosion node could elegantly blend them together even as separate shapes.

Smithson

means you should use a "combiner" device and set it to

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview