Author Topic: Icebergs Macro  (Read 13301 times)

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« on: April 15, 2006, 10:15:26 AM »
Hi,

this Icebergs
 is my first WM macro. The  WM Testfile is for showing how to use it in WM.
I would be happy for any comment and hints for improvements.

Markus

nikita

• Testing Team
  • World Machine Guru
  • B.S. in Macro Science
    • View Profile
    • My WM Macros
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 11:24:31 AM »
The Universal Splitter has been disconnected while saving the macro.
I recomend to use a normal splitter here.
(there is a macro-destroying bug with the UniSplitter)
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 12:49:14 PM »
@Nikita:thank you for testing. didn't knew about this bug.

OK, changed the uni-splitter to normal splitter. The Macro should work properly now.

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:57:32 PM »
I like this macro!

It's a straightforward but neat effect.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:37 AM »
Quote from: Remnant
I like this macro!
It's a straightforward but neat effect.

Hi Stephen,
yap ... it's rather simple at the moment, but i am working on more options and maybe some presets. Let's see what i can achieve.

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:20:51 AM »
Hi there,
Icebergs Macro is the new version within a .tmd-file. If you want to add it to your macro folder, just klick on the macro and select menu "Device command>Save device to library ...". A requester pops up and asks for the place to save. The .tmd-file shows *one* way to use the macro. There are certainly others.

I would be greatfull for every comment and *bug report*.

Markus

Fil

• Testing Team
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 05:36:33 AM »
That's an interesting effect!..
You can do icebergs, scattered rock.. Neat idea!.. I think I still need to play a bit with it, as I'm getting triangular icebergs, and other giant ice caps.. It gets trickier to work at higher resolutions also..
Fil.

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 01:42:02 PM »
Quote from: Fil
That's an interesting effect!..
You can do icebergs, scattered rock.. Neat idea!.. I think I still need to play a bit with it, as I'm getting triangular icebergs, and other giant ice caps.. It gets trickier to work at higher resolutions also..

I can certainly make a slider to change the voronoi-noise, so that you get other forms. You can use the distortion effect, too. Would it be of any help, if i make an input for distortion (noise or something)?

Regards,
Markus

Fil

• Testing Team
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 02:12:18 PM »
You can use the distortion effect, too. Would it be of any help, if i make an input for distortion (noise or something)?
Maybe.. I don't know if that would make it a bit complicated to work with.. I fear that if the icebergs get small, there is not much control that you can extract from a distortion input that may justify the heightfield input.. hmm..  Though, some characteristics of the distortion may be specified that way.. I don't know.. possibly something to try out..  Let me fool arround a bit and I might suggest something more..
Fil.

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »
Hm, yeah ... the higher res problem is something i have no idea how to solve at the moment. I tested up to 2049 with slight problems at the highest res.

... suddenly a bird (Parus major/Kohlmeise http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlmeise) jumps into my living room (door to the terrace is open) ... he or she looks curious around ... searching for insects i think ... hop ... flew away ... very cute

nikita

• Testing Team
  • World Machine Guru
  • B.S. in Macro Science
    • View Profile
    • My WM Macros
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:22:22 AM »
Quote from: RealUser
... suddenly a bird (Parus major/Kohlmeise http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlmeise) jumps into my living room (door to the terrace is open) ... he or she looks curious around ... searching for insects i think ... hop ... flew away ... very cute

That is world machines mascot - it always flies around, looking not for insects, but for bugs :mrgreen:
"Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies."
Richard Buckland

RealUser

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Icebergs Macro
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 03:06:17 AM »
Quote from: nikita
[...] That is world machines mascot - it always flies around, looking not for insects, but for bugs :mrgreen:

Hey, you are right! The bug in my macro is gone! ;-)

P.S.: For the non native german speakers: We are talking about a Tit/Titmouse (that is what gmx clictionary gives me as a translation of 'Meise')