Author Topic: Resolution  (Read 3798 times)

Venishi

Resolution
« on: October 12, 2004, 07:20:30 PM »
I want to export a higher resolution bmp terrain from world machine, because when I import a bmp into bryce, it always seems to have steps and terraces, not a smooth incline/decline. Any suggestions?

Fil

• Testing Team
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
Resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:49:47 AM »
Hello,

by resolution you are talking about height resolution... That is the cause for the stairs you see. that is because of the number of bits used for the height. Due to some reasons that have been discussed elsewhere, the BMP has only arround 8 bits for representing height (256 levels of height possible)
Apart from the obvious "WM 1.0 is expected to have better support for file output formats" answer, I can only say that you should look at other ways to inport information into Bryce other than BMP.
WM also exports in TGA, which I thinks is about the same thing as the BMP in these terms.. The one with most resolution would be the the terragen format, but you can't really do much with it in brice, I think. Unless there is a plugin available for bryce to read a .TER file. Then, there is also the r32 format, which is the same as a raw 32 bit height info dump for each pixel.
I think the best thing you can do is see what formats bryce reads, or if you can transform any of WM's formats into one of brice's.

Hope this helped
Fil.

Greg

mountains squashed
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:34:53 AM »
I've run into the same thing:  when I import my Terragen terrain, I set the world  size to 4097x.  The height scale only goes up to 2400 meters, but my terrain has mountains up to 5375 meters.  How do I get the full range -- when I export the terrain after building, its squashed to 2400 meters, so in Terragen I modified it up to 5375 again, but the (unwanted) terracing occurs.  My maps are based on real-world DEMs and all I really want to do is place a flat lake in the center of the valley, with minimal modification of the surrounding terrain.

How do I use the full height of my mountains?
How do I eliminate the terracing?

JavaJones

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://oshyan.ashundar.com
Resolution
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »
See my reply to your post for basic info on how to work around this. As far as getting the terracing, you should absolutely not be getting this if you have saved in .ter format. Any other format is much less accurate, the difference between 65500+ possible altitude heights and 256 possible altitude heights (16 bit vs. 8 bit). If you *are* saving in .ter format, let us know and we'll look into it further.

- Oshyan