Author Topic: Maximum height!?  (Read 4693 times)

Greg

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Maximum height!?
« on: October 15, 2004, 10:56:34 AM »
Why is the maximum altitude of terrains only 2400 meters?  I'm processing a terrain of real mountains that rise more than 5,000 meters -- is there a workaround?

JavaJones

• World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://oshyan.ashundar.com
Maximum height!?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 01:04:49 AM »
The maximum height you can export from WM is 2400 meters, yes. However post scaling in an application like Terragen should restore your height data without any distortion, assuming you used a high accuracy format like .ter to export from WM.

Basically all WM is doing is rescaling your terrain in relative terms. The actual data isn't being lost or changed in absolute terms. You just need to keep in mind when you're making changes in WM that everything will be about 2x taller, so if you make a mountain that is 1000 meters tall, it will come out to 2000 when you rescale it after export. Admittedly this rescaling is a problem, but I believe it has been done (at least in part) to keep the various geneators consistent with each other when scaling. Hopefully this will be addressed somehow when 1.0 comes along.

- Oshyan

Anonymous

Vertical Scale
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 01:33:39 AM »
Why the maximum?

..."when you're making changes in WM that everything will be about 2x taller, so if you make a mountain that is 1000 meters tall, it will come out to 2000 when you rescale it after export..."

What do you mean by that?

I used 30m DEMs for my original terrain -- I dont want to rescale it after export:  that wrecks the resolution and creates terraces on my (formerly) detailed terrain.

Remnant

• Author
  • World Machine Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.world-machine.com/
Maximum height!?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 12:35:51 PM »
The altitude limit of 2400m was purely arbitrary. For v1.0 it can be increased; but as Oshyan said, the altitude limits are just a matter of vertical scaling. In Terragen or any other rendering application, you can vertically scale the resulting terrain to reach your desired altitudes with no problem -- vertical scaling does not alter the resolution or fine details on the map, it only makes things taller.
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine