• Welcome to World Machine Community. Please login or sign up.

July 22, 2019, 02:36:13 am

News:

Read the Development Diary for an inside look at World Machine's progress!

Things that ALMOST made it into WM2...

Started by Stephen, July 04, 2008, 12:49:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

July 04, 2008, 12:49:53 pm Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:14:25 pm by Remnant
Hey folks,

I just wanted to post a list of the features that I tried hard to get into WM2 but found that I didn't have the time to complete them to my satisfaction, and so removed them from this release. There is the strong potential of these showing up in a service pack or plug in pack release. Most of them are at about the 80% complete stage.

• Mesh Input: Convert a mesh file back into a heightfield for modification and then re-export (keeping the poly count of the original optionally)

• Spectral Splitter/Combiner: Break apart a height field into those parts containing different frequencies (for example, just the rough peaks of the mountain or just the mid-range hills on the terrain) and either modify or mix and match several height fields together differently across the ranges.

• Coverage Generator: An easy-to-use, highly configurable texture-creating agent that will output either completed RGB textures or a set of coverage masks for use in terrain engines.

• Undo/Redo: enough said :)

• Additional Layout Mode shapes: Principally, a topography shape that builds shapes from drawn or imported topographic lines.

• Ambient Occlusion calculation added to the light map generator

• A mechanism to page terrains to disk during builds to allow much larger normal-mode terrains to be built even under 32bit windows restrictions.

• Several more...

-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

Walli

those all sound interesting, would be nice to see them inside WM at some stage!

monkschain

Very interesting. The Spectral Splitter. Coverage Generator and the topography Shape would be real nice to see, but take a breather dude!  :lol:
Howard Zhou's terrain synthesis plugin would be awesome to see make a re-appearance as well...oh yes, and shapefile import. :)

monks

marmil

All of these sound like good additions.  The Mesh Input, Spectral Splitter, and Amb Occ interest me.
Would be happy to see some of these added in the future. :)

SnS

Quote from: Remnant on July 04, 2008, 12:49:53 pm

Mesh Input: Convert a mesh file back into a heightfield for modification and then re-export (keeping the poly count of the original optionally)

What would be even better: (for my use anyways LOL)

1) Bring in a terrain mesh (treat normals as upward)
2) Convert to heightfield as suggested to do the additional detailing in WM2
3) On export have option to export height field as a difference from the mesh. So the height is only capturing the added detail (not full height values).

So basically you are jsut using WM2 to add an additional layer of displacement on top of the mesh geo. So the geo alwasy stays the same...you jsut have a height field to add displacements. (in maya, renderman etc)
At the moment I have to generate a low and then a high...and try to extract the difference as maps.

-SnS

Stephen

That's an interesting idea, and is conceptually straightforward to add. I'll see what can be done...
-- Stephen Schmitt
- Creator of World Machine

JohnnyBoy

Quote from: Remnant on July 04, 2008, 12:49:53 pm

• A mechanism to page terrains to disk during builds to allow much larger normal-mode terrains to be built even under 32bit windows restrictions.

I was wondering if it would be possible with the PDK to program something like the simulations that are done with StarLogo or Swarm and have the "artificial life" affect the heightfield. I wouldn't want to reproduce these apps inside WM2, just a very focused simulation of life (like insects creating trails, mounds, etc.) If this is possible, I would want to be able to save out a heightfield at regular intervals to create an animation of the activity, it would be like having the erosion device save out hundreds of maps (during the build) to create an animation.

marmil

Quote from: JohnnyBoy on July 15, 2008, 06:38:16 pm
...I would want to be able to save out a heightfield at regular intervals to create an animation of the activity, it would be like having the erosion device save out hundreds of maps (during the build) to create an animation.

This sounds like something that could be done very nicely with the scripting capabilities available in the WM2 Pro version.  Comand line automation and programing loops to the rescue.  :)

JohnnyBoy

Quote from: marmil on July 15, 2008, 07:04:29 pm
Quote from: JohnnyBoy on July 15, 2008, 06:38:16 pm
...I would want to be able to save out a heightfield at regular intervals to create an animation of the activity, it would be like having the erosion device save out hundreds of maps (during the build) to create an animation.

This sounds like something that could be done very nicely with the scripting capabilities available in the WM2 Pro version.  Comand line automation and programing loops to the rescue.  :)

Yes, it would be possible for erosion, but an A-life simulation would lose all the data at each build making a script quite useless. I think it's asking too much, but I was just curious. :D

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S save/post or ALT+P preview