A little help would be great :) Main extent Close Up

Hi everyone,

First of all a big thanks for this forum and all informations :D.

I am currently facing a problem with what I would like to do :
My terrain is a valley , and will be used in a movie production as a base for modelisation artists. So I created an output obj. mesh for them, and it’s work fine.
But the problem, is when I reduce the main extent to smaller zone, the obj. mesh is different. I can see that the smaller part doesn’t really match with the whole valley in Maya.
It seems that the erosion node create some variations and the volume are changing :shock:.
Is there a way to fix that ?
( I put an image in attachement to make it clear)
Thanks for reading and have a good day ( or night).

Lio

Erosion simulation is very much resolution dependent. When you switch to smaller extents, build resolution remains the same, while size decreases. So there are essentially more channels than the bigger one, relative to the sizes.

Easier would be to cut up the mesh itself. Or create individual features first, then the base, and then mix it up in the frame.

Thanks for your answer WFab :slight_smile:

More easily, maintaining the same pixel/meter resolution when you reduce your extent’s size should fix it. Mostly.

You should be aware that the erosion node is partly driven by the extent’s boundaries, which might change the way this node behaves. Althought your terrain doesnt look like it might suffer from this.

An idea could be rendering the whole extent at the same resolution you want for the close up scene, reduce the obj polycount (if needed) in Maya or in ZBrush (ZBrush has awesome tools for decimation) and then capture its normals.

At this point you have two 3D models, one very high poly and one low poly with detailed normal maps, both with corresponding volumes (mostly, depending on the decimation level) and showing the same amount of details.

If they dont need a fly-over take of the scene, cutting and pasting together the close and distant areas should be an easy operation.