Something's WRONG with Roughness in 4031

Your bug report should include:

1. What happened

I was trying to calibrate a wetness parameter in a macro, using the Roughness channel when I noticed that the Scene View never showed a bit of gloss, even at 100% while the Scene Output was completely glossy at 0%.

1. Does it happen consistently, or randomly?

I never noticed this before, so I can’t say for sure. I played around with my settings for a bit to see if it was something I was misreading, but it’s certainly happening at the moment.

1. The steps to reproduce it. Include a screenshot or world file if possible

I’m posting the .tmd for you. …and it’s too big. Weird. Aren’t .tmd’s basically text files? I’ll delete all the unnecessary bits and try again.

granite emerald mountains lab 000 01.tmd (1.2 MB)

You don’t have material node connected to scene view, connecting the material node shows glossiness. However, still something feels wrong to me. I’ll have to play around some more with your demo file tomorrow, with a level head (a bit sleep deprived right now).

1 Like

Ouch. I totally missed that! D’oh!

…though, I am still seeing too much gloss for the apparent value of my Roughness map at 0%. It’s not entirely white, but the albedo is around 80% of white for the most part. That ought to be good for a tiny amount of shine. Not like I’m seeing.

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I’m seeing at my end too. Could be another user error somewhere else though, so I left it as is for now.

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a look. For now, I’ll work on the curve to find a good “residual” dampness in crevices in an overall drier map.

1 Like

Sigh. I’m at 99% of white and still seeing too much gloss. The other kinds of PBR shading I’m used to working with would not come out like this. I can’t even see the shading at this point, so I don’t see me finding the right margin within 1%, though I can punch in extra 9’s in the decimal for a bit and see if it changes by degrees or just abruptly goes flat at some point, with no discernable gradient.

…and this is at 100% with the exception of a 1% noise addition from Metallicity.

granite emerald mountains lab 000 01.tmd (1.2 MB)

I don’t know if I’m missing or misunderstanding something here, but from what I can see from the file provided, the issue may just be the fact that your roughness in the material node is set to 0.

Editing to clarify: The roughness in the material node is set to spatial input, but has a value range of 0.0 - 0.0, so the maximum roughness value is still 0, which is likely why you’re still seeing too much gloss, the material node isn’t actually applying any roughness.

Thanks for your feedback. As you can probably guess, I moved on to other projects, so I’ll have to go back to that one to put your advice to good use.

Once I do, I’ll let you know if that fixes things for me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.