3.0.Dev1 messes with combiners using Detail blend mode

Sorry if this was mentioned, but I noticed that the new/converted blend mode ‘Detail with Differences’ now has twice the strength that ‘Detail’ had. This is a nice upgrade actually, but it is going to cause me to have to look through hundreds of combiners to find and adjust the ones that used Detail. Is this what I should expect to do or are there any plans to help deal with this change?

On this note, has there been any consideration for maintaining old device versions in existing saved files and flagging them as old? In Filter Forge if I open an old filter in a new version, all the out of date devices have the version number attached to the title for when they were created in the project. They work as they did in that version in order to maintain results. Seems like is could be a bitch of a thing to support, I have no idea, but I think it could save you and everyone some future headaches if more device changes like these are planned.

Congrats and thanks for the new release, these are some major features! Rescaling is going to make my life SO much easier.

Hi Ben,

The Combiner should actually automatically scale the strength of combiners loaded from an old world file and set to Detail by half to maintain compatibility. If you’re not seeing this, let me know asap as these kinds of changes are designed to be non-breaking as much as possible. The only situation where this wouldn’t happen is in a complicated macro where the type of the combiner is set by a parameter.

As an aside, the old Differences mode is now called “Differences Magnitude”; the new Extract Differences function is signed and designed to work directly with the new detail differences function.

So far I’ve been able to avoid it, but long term there is definitely a need for handling “Device versions” well, where old worlds (or new worlds that have to work with them) can continue using old deprecated versions of a device.

This appears to be what’s happening to me. This is much more manageable, I shouldn’t have too many to fix and it’s much easier to find combiners with parameters plugged in. I was mostly worried about the cases that I couldn’t plainly see, there are just so many subtle things that could go wrong.

Thanks!