A couple of questions

Hello …

I am trying to use World machine to carve and erode a nice continent , I would like to be able to produce nice flows out of the mountains, make the mountains possibly look natural and ready for a future further erosion in other tools to simulate the rivers .
The continent is part of a larger map that I will compose later, baically I erode one region at time… I have loaded so a mask to hide all surrounding land as input .

so basically my confic is double input , one for mask and the other for the file heightmap to erode , then they both are linked to an erosion filter, and then I bring out to outputs …

My issue is that when I use some particular erosion models they erode beyond the sea level causing sea drops and lakes despite I used a mask to preserve the coastlines, is there a way to avoid make the erosion go under the sea level? and is it possible to have a better resolution preview in the window 3d ? I have put all to max but I can’t guess what will be like the erosion unless I start it .

My other question is I tried to output a 16 k x 16 k image I have 32 gb ram but even if it doesn’t reach the limit andf it stays with memory save under 19 gb the operation after a while gets stuck ( or so seems ) forever and I am forced to quit .

Finally for rivers and large rivers, is there a best way to erode to make WM produce by itself nice river flows? Or it just creates erosion flows frokm the mountains?

Any tutorial on that ?

thanks a lot for any answers …

That forum is pretty empty?

Hi there,

A number of questions, here’s a few answers:

Erosion deepening below your sealevel: Generally speaking, Channeled type erosion will most likely cause drops in elevation. One additional way you can prevent this is to extend your mask to not just have the continent shape, but also for example by specifying that lowland areas should only have partial erosion. I’ve attached an example below: You can see the mask is combined with a height mask to ensure that your low areas are less affected (and thus less likely to drop below sealevel)

Preview wise, you can always view things in the 3D view for a larger look at the scene. For a detailed look at what the erosion will be like though, there’s not much to do other than simply building at an intermediate res to get a better idea of the outcome.

16k x 16k is a fairly large output size, so make sure it’s actually stuck by waiting for several hours; some devices dont’ report their progress immediately.

thankyou , that halped a bit , despite I still can’t prevent to sink at the borders very well and still preserve some channeling on the coast .

But I noticed another problem … how can I avoid the engine to “cut” pieces of land ? Like in that image …

Here befoure creatingthis I disabled the channeling …

Maybe this might help:

You might want to blur the mask before feeding it to the Erosion node. Any strong edges will be taken care of that way. You might need to use Bias/Gain if the mask becomes too “light” for erosion.

A more complex, but more effective way, is to add the mask, then use the Flow output from the Erosion device, mask it using a Constant (value = 0) and the Flow output, passing them through a Combiner and using the original mask (blurred) as a mask. Then use this new combiner output as a Mask for a second erosion device. In this device, pass the original uneroded input that you used for the first erosion device.

thanks, to solve the cut , I just had to remove the inversed filter and use a no filter, though I liked the mountains jenerated with the inverted filter :confused: .