Branchifier Macro v0.1

Branchifier “ALPHA-1” - v0.1 technically

After letting this sit on my hard drive for a while, I think it would be better if everyone could use it in their own projects as well. This macro was used in this post: Work in progress macro for creating realistic mountain branching

Branchifier is a macro that was created after a lot of experimentation on how to create realistic mountain chains in the fewest number of nodes possible. The result is a macro that is able to output realistic mountain chains that have branches that closely resemble that of real-life mountain chains.

A few known weak points of the macro are that it does not scale well with resolution, and adjusting the three sliders to reduce artifacts/sculpt the terrain can be tedious to do.

How to use:

• Plug any terrain in, although an Advanced Perlin is recommended since this macro will output similar results regardless of the terrain
  • Adjust number of branches until desired
  • Adjust “adj 3” until the peaks are sharp (or desired shape is formed)
  • Adjust “adj 1 & 2” until there are no more artifacts - I recommend adjusting 1 first as 2 slows down the macro more than 1
  • I also recommend doing two passes of the macro, the first for large branches and a second pass for adding smaller branches for detail

Planned features:

• Allow slider for internal resolution to save on build time when only larger branches are required
  • Allow for canyon generation in the same macro
  • Come up with some way to automatically balance of the three adjustment sliders
  • Clean up internals and expose more parameters for more flexibility

Download & Example World:
Branchifier ALPHA-1.dev (81.0 KB)
branched mtns test 1.tmd (546.8 KB) (This is a little messy but it is a quick demo terrain to demonstrate how this macro can be used)

I’ll likely release the rest of my macros on gumroad or here sooner or later so stay tuned.

7 Likes

Additional example file, this one is much better and is a full terrain example. I definitely remembered to texture the rivers as well

kewl mtns.tmd (1015.6 KB)

1 Like

Looks great!

Can you also show what the input terrain looks like?

Here’s an updated version of the example file, for latest dev build (4032). Also added a scene view node for output. Macros still contain older version of the nodes though, so result looks similar, if not exactly the same.

Kewl MTNS by Delta_Research (Updated for build 4032 of world machine).zip (3.2 MB)

Is 4032 a Dev version, or did I miss a release? I haven’t looked at the Dev channel since Artist Point came out.

@davidroberson Yes, 4032 is the latest public dev version. Fixes some critical bugs from the release build.

Yeah. Turns out I was set only to receive notices of the stable channel build releases. I’ll update my dev version today. Thanks!

1 Like

Branchifier Macro ALPHA-2

Changes:
Added options for internal resolution from 1/2x to 1/8x. Lowering resolution will massively improve build time, at the cost of increasing artifacts as resolution is decreased. Next update will focus on mitigating the artifacts and adding extra features.

(1x to 1/8x internal resolution from left to right)

Branchifier ALPHA-2.dev (149.1 KB)

3 Likes