Branchifier “ALPHA-1” - v0.1 technically
After letting this sit on my hard drive for a while, I think it would be better if everyone could use it in their own projects as well. This macro was used in this post: Work in progress macro for creating realistic mountain branching
Branchifier is a macro that was created after a lot of experimentation on how to create realistic mountain chains in the fewest number of nodes possible. The result is a macro that is able to output realistic mountain chains that have branches that closely resemble that of real-life mountain chains.
A few known weak points of the macro are that it does not scale well with resolution, and adjusting the three sliders to reduce artifacts/sculpt the terrain can be tedious to do.
How to use:
- Plug any terrain in, although an Advanced Perlin is recommended since this macro will output similar results regardless of the terrain
- Adjust number of branches until desired
- Adjust “adj 3” until the peaks are sharp (or desired shape is formed)
- Adjust “adj 1 & 2” until there are no more artifacts - I recommend adjusting 1 first as 2 slows down the macro more than 1
- I also recommend doing two passes of the macro, the first for large branches and a second pass for adding smaller branches for detail
- Allow slider for internal resolution to save on build time when only larger branches are required
- Allow for canyon generation in the same macro
- Come up with some way to automatically balance of the three adjustment sliders
- Clean up internals and expose more parameters for more flexibility
I’ll likely release the rest of my macros on gumroad or here sooner or later so stay tuned.