Hey everyone! I took a break from trying to perfect my workflow for canyon terrains to use World Machine to create/finish out a 2D satellite imagery-style map for a Dungeons and Dragons campaign that I run. It was an interesting shift from trying to make a scene that only needed one good angle to make a final image to building out an entire continent that made a modicum of sense geologically, as well as planning out multiple biomes to keep the landscape varied and interesting.
I started out with a simple hand drawn Tolkien-esque map that I’ve been using since the beginning of the campaign, and (through a ton of trial and error) imported the basic landmass into World Machine. From there, it was a long process of trying to get some major land features that I had in the hand drawn map roughly represented in the heightmap, and then weeks of tweaking the textures (that section of the node network is an absolute mess, something like 40 nodes with wires going all over the place). Let me know what you all think!