Can someone help me clearing the confusion on terrain size export please?

Hi everyone,

After some test we decide to reduce the size of our game map to only allowed an 8 km x 8km playable area so we can release other part of the map as future extensions.

But i am a bit confuse about the terrain size, let me explain here :

I just made another extent of 8 km x 8km and in terrain tiled panel i set the grid to 2x2 at 2048 height-map resolution so this made 4 tiles of 2048 x 2048 for a total of 4096 kilometer square.

So should i make a 4x4 grid to get a real 8 km square playable area or am i just not seeing the forest behind the trees here?

regards Peter

My trial of WM pro is about to expired so i will appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

Regards Peter

Your calculation seems fine, so I don’t know what your problem is. Although if you want an 8k terrain in your game, why can’t you use a single heightmap without tiling?

What engine do you use anyway?

Should be rules for that^ haha name your specs and engine or application

Hi WFab,

I was just confuse about the resolution versus width and lenght since 1 unit= 1 meter in Unity so i figure that 2000 units mean 2 km.

Tiled terrain are our only choice if we want to be able to stream it on master server with asset bundle and it give us a more detail terrain than one single heightmap.

Regards Peter

Hi Eclipse,

We use Unity

We are targeting medium to high range system.

Regards Peter

I guess my reply is coming too late, but I’d like to try help you.

Both Unity and WM give you quite some freedom, when it comes to the pixels/units ratio. Your best bet to get a full 1:1 correspondence between the WM heightmap representation and the Unity terrain is to give both the same ratio.

Point is that WM best works with powers of 2, which means 8192x8192 is the most fitting resolution you want for your 8x8km map, which you can then split in as many tiles as you want (1024x1024, 2048x2048 or 4096x4096).
If you want a perfect 1:1 ratio, I suggest you to set both your Unity and WM terrains at a size of 8192x8192 meters, which shouldnt clash with any other software restriction.

This should do the trick, let us know if it works. ^^