can't save bitmap please help!

Hi!
So, i wrote in topic i can’t save bitmap. i have an error: error saving the file: device built but no output buffer contents found. how can i fix it?

Hi there,

Double check your input connections to the Bitmap Output device – you should have a Bitmap type output going into the Primary input. If you’re trying to connect a heightfield to the bitmap output device, the primary port is closed off and you will accidently attach it to the Mask input – which means that the output device doesnt work. This is a common mistake and the error message needs to be more intelligible for it.

Just use a height output device instead if you are outputting a heightfield as a bitmap.

I can’t do this still. Can you show me on simple examples how connect it and which button i must use? Please. I’m beginner…

Hi there,

Sure! I’ve attached a screen capture of exporting a bitmap:

The two leftmost devices create a simple terrain (in fact they are just the default starting world devices).

You can see that I’ve seperated the output into two branches. Which branch you use depends on what you’re trying to do:

1. If you want to export a GREYSCALE bitmap with your heightfield, use the first (top) branch.

Just create a Height Output device, double click on it to open its properties, select a format (such as BMP or PNG), give it a name, and then push Write Output to Disk!

1. If you want to export a COLORED BITMAP that is colored in some way from your heightmap (such as for creating textures), use the bottom branch.

If you want to do this, you have to decide how you want to create colors relative to the terrain. This can be very complicated to make interesting textures, but the example uses a simple gradient from the Colorizer device. Once you’ve made a colormap, you then connect that (notice how the line drawn from the colorizer is blue instead of black, to denote that it is carrying color data) to the primary input (first one) of the Bitmap Output device and setup the export parameters similar to the first case. Done!

THANK YOU SO MUCH REMNANT! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. I had the same problem.

I’d buy you a beer or two. :slight_smile: