Clamping Height for noise generator?

Hi all,

I’m trying to make a multi tiered map where 0 height (black) would be the bottom of the ocean
a level at .2 of the total height for sea level / beach land / island (I’ll be adding geo for water oustide of WM)
a level at .4 height for a cliffside off the water
a level at .6 height for a short mountain range

My problem is the noise generator seems to generate at a level lower that the value I set in the constant.
Is there a way for me to clamp it at a specific height or range of values within the noise generator??
Right now I set a constant at .4 and noise will find a range (randomly) lower than .4
So If I want noise to be clamped between .395 & .405 how would I set that up?

File is included in this post.
There are 3 examples

1st has no noise and you can see that it looks flat and boring
2nd has noise set after each constant
3rd has noise set at the end of the logic chain

You can see in both 2nd and 3rd examples the noise generator seems to eat away at my constant

Reason I’m doing this is that I will eventually be stitching height maps together and would like to reduce the amount of offset between each height map.

Thanks all.

Not sure to have understood everything, but you can check the “Normalize Input” box in the Clamp device, so that its input heights use the full range between 0 and 1 before it is clamped.

yep that was pretty much it, 1 check box… thanks

It doesn’t give me 100% of what I was expecting, but I think I can work with it.

I don’t know… maybe you misunderstood something.
You connected a constant to the mask input of the perlin noise. It has nothing to do with the height range the perlin noise will use.

If you want to try to add detail to your yet flat landscape, you should try to the combiner instead :slight_smile:

Thanks Nikita,

I’ll be evaluating the use of combiners & clamps some more with what I need to do.

I did notice that your test2 file has the same problem I’m trying to solve.
If you click on the first 3 combiners while viewing the preview you will notice that there is no change in elevation.
Once you preview the last combiner (that combines with Perlin Noise) it seems to elevate the entire terrain a notch.

But if you want to bring some detail into your terrain you have to change height somewhere?
I’m starting to think you want to do something completely different from what I thought.