Clamps and Tiled Export

Greetings all. Got a bit of a problem.

I’m wanting to export a tiled terrain, and everything is working fine. Looks brilliant in WM.

However, I am needing to clamp my terrain to get everything back to the correct height after blurring, perlin and erosion. (Based on the Improving Real World Terrain example)

I’ve discovered that the problem I have is the Clamps I’m using. So I searched around, and people stated that it was the “Normalize Input” option that was causing issues with tiled terrains. However, I’ve yet to find solid info on how to go about getting this to work.

What I thought I needed was to create two clamps at the end of everything. One which just has “Normalize Input” ticked, and the entire elevation range selected. Then clamp is again with “Normalize Input” unticked, and then the range I wanted selected and set to clamp.

But this doesn’t solve my issue either.

Does anyone have a clue how best to go about solving this?

Thanks a lot in advance! Much appreciated!

The key to understanding is that in a tiled terrain, each part of your terrain is put through the device graph separately; so when a device such as clamp in normalize mode tries to look at the entire terrain to see what the lowest and highest points are, it only is able to see the small tile that it’s currently working on and use the elevation range in that tile, causing issues.

The solution is to proceed along your two-clamps route, but uncheck the normalize on the first clamp and hit the “Find Extents” button. This will duplicate the effect of a normalize operation, but using the global height range. You may or may not want to do this after doing a regular (non-tiled) build, as the find extents will use the high res data if it is present in the network.

Awesome, I assumed that was what was happening.

Turns out I was being a tad stupid. I had one of the clamps set to normalize still.

Just curious. Is there an easier way to deselect certain tiles? MY landscape has a lot of seabed within the square that just doesnt need to generate and the temp files are taking up a lot of HDD space.

Thanks for the help!

In the tiled terrain project settings, you can specify tiles to export instead of exporting the entire rectangular range.

Cheers

klisapri@mail.ru