Complete beginner, need some help

Hi all, I started with this program a few days ago, I’m going to use it for exporting terrains to Terragen. As I told you, I’ve just started and after reading as many tutorials as I could find, I still have lots of questions. The main problem is that I don’t really control the terrain, when I make it it’s kinda “random”. I’ve read quite theory about devices, macros… but I don’t know for example how to make a range of mountains.

So please if you know any tutorial (I’ve read the tutorial placed in the Help of the program and the WM’s web tutorials) let me know it. Any tip would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Basically you can use the Layout Mode to draw shapes - in order to make mountains where you want, for example.
Try to look at the files provided in the Examples folder, and the user guide provided with the program should help you too (chapter 5).

If you still have problems after having had a look at this, don’t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

Hi Rhalph, thanks for answering. I forgot to say that I’m using WM 1.25, so I think that i can’t use the Layout mode. I’ve read the whole WM 1.25 tutorial, should I read the WM 2.0 tutorial too?

WM2 is a huge update to world machine, and it´s definately worth checking out. The WM2 layout generator allows you to go far beyond ´random´ terrains, and that sounds just like what you want to do. Also, I found the WM2 tutorials to be very enlightening.

There really is no reason to be using WM 1.25 any longer-a free version of WM 2 is available for download. Using the newer version will give you access to the layout generator and quickly solve the problem you say you are having with respect to creating more control over the terrain. A mountain range can be built in only a minute or two in WM2 once you figure out how to use that layout generator (its not difficult). The only restrictions on the new free version restrict the resolution of the terrain output and forbid the creation of commercial work with the product so there really isn’t a reason to not get the new version.
Cheers

OK, thank you all for answering, I’m going to start reading the WM 2 manual.