Drop Curve to Surface crashes

I have a complicated terrain setup which has a file input at the root of it. The point is I need to maintain an existing layout and add erosion and noise to it to make it look nicer and more natural.

When I try to drop curve to surface on my road splines, the tool crashes 100% of the time. I can drop it just fine with the road tutorial project.

Are there any known bugs/workarounds/issues with the drop to surface feature that will help me fix this?

I just ran into a similar issue and found a workaround. When you say crash do you mean that it froze or is it similar to this? What were the erosion settings?

I tried to add a road curve onto a fairly complicated terrain but after placing the curve and dropping it to the surface it just ripped a hole right through my terrain (I could see right through it where the roads were supposed to go). This is the result of some tests I just did:

Setup: Advanced Perlin > Erosion > Layout Generating (curves dropped to surface) > Height Output.

1. Standard Erosion, no Geological-time enhancement - drop working correctly.
  2. Standard Erosion, full Geological-time enhancement - drop was not very accurate.
  3. Channeled Erosion, no Geological-time enhancement - drop cut a hole in the terrain.
  4. Channeled Erosion, full Geological-time enhancement - drop placed curve at lowest points on map but was otherwise fine.

I still had World Machine Basic installed so I gave #4 a test in that and it mostly worked (road was a bit high though).

Setup: Advanced Perlin > Erosion > Combiner > Layout Generating (curves dropped to surface) > Height Output.
Gradient > /\ 0.8
(Erosion and gradient combined, result being 80% gradient).

1. Channeled Erosion, full Geological-time enhancement - curves dipped below terrain somewhat.

This leads me to believe that after the erosion filter the layout generator interpreted the heightmap as flat. To confirm, I exported the heightmap before the layout generator and then imported it back in again and dropped the curves on to that instead. The heightmap was exactly the same but this time it worked perfectly. The problem appears to be with the erosion filter and not with the heightmap itself so the erosion filter is passing on other info as well. So, exporting the heightmap and then importing it again does work, but it’s a bit of a roundabout way of doing things.