File Input + Bitmaps

Not sure if this a “known behaviour”:

When I use a File Input node (import bitmap) and reopen the .tmd file again, I first see broken connections. So I must open the File Input and load the bitmap again. After that, everything works fine.

• Karsten

In my case it appears to work fine!

Can you elaborate on how you get that behaviour? what is “broken connections”? Is it the same as if you disabled a device? or is the wire not present? Was the TMD file saved using v.99 or earlier version?

I saved a .TMD world project file (in v1.2) that has a File Input device in it connected to a reasonable network of devices. I closed and opened WM. Then opened the TMD world project file. And everything seems ok.
I’ve tried using several different directories for storing the image file the File Input loads, and they all seam ok.

I try to explain. The image is greyscale 24 bit 1024 x 1024. File was generated in v1.2.

I load a file A.tmd, this is what I mean with broken connection, the nodes are not correctly connected:

Double-clicking the File Input node to look what’s wrong. We see “Error reading input file”:

Select the file again. It’s just re-choosing, it always existed there:

Error message is away, now we see “Original size: 1024 by 1024”:

And now the connected nodes: :slight_smile:

Another interesting effect: The same BMP file is used in A.tmd and B.tmd. When I work on A.tmd, shutdown and restart World Machine and open B.tmd, I see the above described erroneous behaviour. When I do it without shutdown / restart, it works fine. Hm…

• Karsten

/edit: Same thing happens with imported .ter files.

I think it has to do with the path, somehow… I think WM searches for the file and doesn’t find it, but when you re-specify it WM finds it!.. Don’t ask me how or why, but I think that is it…
But I still wasn’t able to replicate it…

[Edit]
Oh! Now I did… It appears that the File Input doesn’t read the file if you open a TMD “from the recently opened list”, (only the first time). Every time I opened it via the Ctrl+O or File->Open dialogs, it opened ok, but not via the recent files list!.. hmm… This is a very hidden issue… Interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

and… no, it wasn’t a known behaviour up to now :wink:

It appears that the File Input doesn't read the file if you open a TMD "from the recently opened list", (only the first time).
Yes, that's it! Now I can exactly reproduce it. First I thought this is a case for the X-Files. :)

Nope! It was a case for the X-Bugs :wink:
And hopefully it will be an ex-bug soon, too! :stuck_out_tongue:

This happend with all files i ever imported.

I suspect this is a path issue.

In .99 it was requested that the File Input device not store path information to better facilitate packaging/sharing of TMD files. As a result though, loading a file from a different directory doesn’t work right as the FI device doesn’t have the path info for subsequent loads.

WM should probably have a checkbox to save path information for the FI device (likewise on the FO device).