Flow map issue

Hi all,
I just made a render with a cool WM1 terrain, using some erosion and a flow map output to simulate snow flowing down the slopes.
Here is final render, with a bit of postwork :
http://olivier.cousinou.free.fr/Terragen/images/Mountain_machine.jpg
Here is a close up, without postwork, on a flow map part :
http://olivier.cousinou.free.fr/images/Mountain_machine_detail.jpg
You can see a problem with map resolution, resulting into some stairs steps.
Is there a way to improve maps, without having to postwork them in an image editor ?
Thanks for your help,
Olivier

That looks to me like it is simply a matter of the resolution of the overlay. To get higher quality you would have to use a higher resolution overlay. It also looks like you have increased the contrast of the overlay so that the edges are very sharp. This will only make the edge problem worse. If you leave the edges smooth and “faded” (as they are normally in my experience), you will get a different surface effect, but the edges of the mask will not be so sharp and jagged. It would help to see the actual overlay image that you’re using to be sure though.

• Oshyan

You may want to smooth/blur the flow map… The best would be to use an image editor, double the size of the map, and then apply the filters ?

I don’t know how you were able to get a flow map with such contrast (almost only black and white), I always have to post-process them a lot in order to use them with SOPack.
Anyway, I think the problem may be the fact that you use too much contrast, as the flow map is only a bitmap, with white pixels and black pixels right near them, you get those stairs… If there was a smooth transition between them (which could be possible with a bigger pic or less contrast), that would be better… I think. Surface map is not my speciality :stuck_out_tongue:

That looks to me like it is simply a matter of the resolution of the overlay. To get higher quality you would have to use a higher resolution overlay. It also looks like you have increased the contrast of the overlay so that the edges are very sharp. This will only make the edge problem worse. If you leave the edges smooth and "faded" (as they are normally in my experience), you will get a different surface effect, but the edges of the mask will not be so sharp and jagged. It would help to see the actual overlay image that you're using to be sure though.
  • Oshyan

I don’t know… resolution is 2049x2049, so overlay is rather big.
I didn’t increase the contrast of the overlay; so I don’t understand why this effect :?
Maybe it is just 8 bits limitations…
Maybe I didn’t set correct settings in SOPack, I have to make more tests.
Olivier

You may want to smooth/blur the flow map... The best would be to use an image editor, double the size of the map, and then apply the filters ?

I don’t know how you were able to get a flow map with such contrast (almost only black and white), I always have to post-process them a lot in order to use them with SOPack.
Anyway, I think the problem may be the fact that you use too much contrast, as the flow map is only a bitmap, with white pixels and black pixels right near them, you get those stairs… If there was a smooth transition between them (which could be possible with a bigger pic or less contrast), that would be better… I think. Surface map is not my speciality :stuck_out_tongue:

Curiously, when I edit flow mask file in Photoshop, image has nice smooth edges, it hasn’t these sharp contrast parts…
Mystère ! :wink:
Olivier

I didn't increase the contrast of the overlay; so I don't understand why this effect :?

Which Overlay Type do you use ? I guess you use “Transparent: Black is ignored, all other colors overlayed” ? I personnally prefer to use “Total Overlay”, because then there can be several tones, not only full white… And that’s why I have to increase the contrast in a program, which isn’t required in Transparent mode…

I think you are right, Rhalph, transparency was used…
I will try Total overlay, thanks ! :slight_smile:
Olivier

Just tested : total overlay don’t works… flow map don’t appear ! :?
Olivier

Olivier,

Have you tried taking the flowmap back into your editor and making the edges of the flowmap a shade of gray,alot of work i know…then use the transparency option…

Robert…

Just tested : total overlay don't works... flow map don't appear ! :? Olivier

Err… I think they are way too dark to appear… This is why I said I have to increase the contrast in a program : Flow maps are really dark pics, and in Total Overlay mode you must increase the contrast/brightness until the flow map is really visible.

Just tested : total overlay don't works... flow map don't appear ! :? Olivier

Err… I think they are way too dark to appear… This is why I said I have to increase the contrast in a program : Flow maps are really dark pics, and in Total Overlay mode you must increase the contrast/brightness until the flow map is really visible.

Yes, agree, maybe it could be useful to have the ability to increase contrast of the map in World Machine, with a specific setting, or a little tool like a curve (as in Photoshop).
Olivier

Hi Olivier,

the Bias/Gain tool is ideal for this. You can adjust the contrast with the Gain control, and the brightness with the bias.

Hi Olivier,

the Bias/Gain tool is ideal for this. You can adjust the contrast with the Gain control, and the brightness with the bias.

Thanks Stephen, will try this :stuck_out_tongue:
Olivier