Generator devices in macros acting weird

So after some testing I’ve found that when adding any new generator devices inside a macro and then connecting them to devices, the connection is dotted and the top left mini preview shows black for the whole chain. It’s not actually broken though, it has no warnings and builds fine, I can view the results of the chain in the 3D View just fine. If I save the project and reopen it then the mini previews work and there are solid black connections, as it should have been in the beginning.

Edit: meant to label 3.0.Dev1, oh well

Seems to be a bigger problem than just generators. Connections are going dotted one seemingly any device update while in a macro.

Edit: ok I’m unable to pinpoint the pattern, somehow a dotted line section fixed itself without reopening the file.

Hi Ben,

I think this is due to a particular behavior within macros right now that is a known issue:

Any devices not connected to a macro output currently are not automatically built. This should not effect actual functioning just the preview builds. You can confirm if this is what is happening by wiring the result of a dashed-line, unbuilt chain of devices and connecting it to something that finally drains out of the macro. It should immediately be previewed.

This behavior is the result of a build optimization that is being incorrectly applied to the preview builds. This will be fixed in an upcoming release!

That’s great news, I didn’t see that you had added this optimization already. I’ve been wanting this for a while so thank you!!! :smiley:

Also local space+rescaling has allowed me to get past sample distance limitations of certain devices very well. I’ve been running into limits with Thermal Erosion, Expander, and Blur specifically, now I’m no longer limited as long as I’m willing to render that part at reduced scale/resolution (which is a must with those expensive devices anyway).

So far the release is very stable, no crashes yet, been using it all day.