Graphic card advice needed.

I’ve installed WM 2.1 on my new PC. My system set up is Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 ram, ATI Radeon HD3800 series graphics card on aa Asus P5N-d motherboard. The operating system is Vista Home Premium 64bit.The program loads OK but the main Device Workview whites out (ususally background grid showing default terrain devices). When I select 2d view that comes up OK, as does the preview top left. When I select 3d view the 2d view remains on screen. When I select Explorer view the program crashes and Windows reports “A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program . . . .” I have similar program crash problems (crashing immediately they are opened) with other 3d applications such as Terragen 2 and Blender. I have updated my graphic card drivers a couple of days ago, but this hasn’t helped. I suspect I need to change my graphic card. Can anyone let me know which graphic card will work with WM2 working in a Vista 64bit environment.

hi lap,
just a question but do you have 2 monitors?
AFAIK there are some instabilities with dualmonitor systems

i personally use a 8800ultra and it works well (on my 1st monitor) (wich doesn’t mean you need a new card, just a good solution)

Hi Insanto
Just the one flatscreen monitor connected via DVI connector.

ah ok, i’m afraid i can’t help then (my WM allways crashes when i try to get it onto the 2nd monitor while building (or while building and minimized))
you could try to run it in compatibility mode for winXP but i don’t think that would change something.
do you have other application with 3d views open? (and do you have the latest drivers installed?)

btw i’m not WM support just a random user :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t know if it helps, but this sounds like an OpenGL-related problem. (As those are all programs using OpenGL afaik)

To Insanto: Downloading and installing latest drivers for the card was my first move, but didn’t help. And, yes, similar problems with other 3D applications (Terragen2, Blender, Vue) Although Vue had to implement its OpenGL software, as opposed to OpenGL hardware accelleration to work. So I think nikita is right with “OpenGL-related problem”.