Height Map Scaling

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question. I am experiencing some difficulty when using the height maps World Machine produces in other products. I am finding that when I use the height maps in other applications I am getting EPIC jaggy terrains, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

This is currently experienced in L3DT and the Terrain Builder Application toolbox for Arma 3.

Any help is appreciated.

It happened to me also, can’t remember the exact format but the solution was to change the bit depth of the output (I think in the end I used png 8 bits per channel).

I had it too when using using the output in Terragen.

In my case 8k or 16k terrains can give stepped terrains in Terragen.
It seems that WM is doing some peculiar things with the vertical scaling.
Say you have a WM setup from 0 to 1000 meters in altitude, then it is not necessarily true that black = 0 meters and white is 1000 meters in your image/hf-output.

The elevations you set in the General Setup dialog are where 0 and the maximum heightfield value are mapped to; so if you set 0…2600m in that dialog, black = 0m and white = 2600m.

Certainly make sure you’re using a file format that has enough bitdepth to capture your terrain; usually 16bit is more than adequate.

Posting a picture of what you mean might be very helpful in tracking down this issue.

Hi Remnant, I understand how the general settings options work, I am setting them to -250 for the low point and 1250 for the high point. I guess what I was hoping for is a way to have the output scaled accordingly (i.e. subset of grey scale depending on the information put into the General Setup Dialog) so the output resembles what has been created in World Machine.