[Help] Layout Generator appears flat?

I’m new to world machine. My only intent in using it is to try and create a custom terrain map to export to world painter and make a custom minecraft map. I’ve, therefore, been trying to follow some tutorials on that but always get stumped at the first step.

When I load up world machine and alter the world settings to make the map larger for use with minecraft (altering from 8k x 8k to something like 20k x 20k) and delete the pre-made examples I add back in a layout generator to try and draw the general shape of the landmass I want. I can do that part successfully but then in both the layout view and 3D view the terrain just has a completely flat, featureless shape on it. There’s no height or anything and I’m not sure what is causing that?

Here is a link to an example tutorial: https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-create-awsome-terrains-with-world-machine/

Here is an example of the issue:

Hi there,

The first thing I’d do is make sure you setup your project with a large enough elevation range:

From the screenshot, it looks like the maximum elevation has been set to something quite low, so double check that.

It’s also possible that your layout generator got set as a mask somehow, although that’s unlikely. When in the layout view, make sure “Display as mask” is unchecked.

Thanks for the reply. I did deliberately set the elevation to that height to account for the block height limit in minecraft maps. It doesn’t seem to be an issue on smaller maps, but maybe it does something odd on larger maps? Or there’s just problems rendering at that scale?

I’m not sure if this is related or not, but when I switch to layout view it also doesn’t automatically show the boxed in area that denotes the render extents. This is true even if I zoom all the way out. I have to fiddle with the “focus extents” button to get the full renderable area to show.

The height limit should actually be 2560 to account for the 256 block limit but I think I raised it slightly to see if that made a difference.

well if we are talking about minecraft the limit should be 2550 for solid blocks, not 2560

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.