Hightmap edges

When I import Hightmap in to UDK the highmap is missing the edges

How do I make edges to my hightmap

Like this one

no edges

with edges

I’m not an expert, but my first thought is that it’s not a WM related problem.

A heightmap is some sort of ortographic projection of a terrain where the heights are specified through a gamma of grey tones.

As you know, an ortographic projection doesnt draw what’s “below” as it works like a shadow on the wall; so there’s no data about the “edge” you need, because it would be a perpendicular extension of the heightmap’s edge itself, thus invisible in the heightfield.

I guess the only way to get the edges you want is working them through the UDK itself.

Zehryo is correct… although if you’re willing to sacrifice a small area around the edges of your heightfield, you could emulate this by making the heightfield values fall off to zero on the edges.

Try multiplying your base terrain with a square shape positioned just so in the Layout Generator.

Thank you! I will try that and see if it works.

I am now using a 3:e software to fix it but it would be nice if WM could do it

The UDK seems to have issu with some Hightmaps

I do have an idea…and might work…

If you need a 1 pixel flat edge to set you world’s “walls”, why dont you just paint a black edge all around your terrain?

Explanation:
-. Build your terrain at the resolution you need for UDK
.- Chain it to a Height Output and write the output to disk in the format you need for UDK
-. Hoping the format is editable in a graphic software like Photoshop, just paint a 1 pixel 0,0,0 black edge all around the image

Do not add the pixel wide edge, just paint the outermost line of pixels all around the image.

This way you’ll get the ground-0 drop you need to build a “wall” all around your world’s base.

On a side note, I find really strange that a game development kit that lets you import heightmaps doesnt have a tool to get rid of this detail. It’s silly, to me.

If I was you, I’d look for a tutorial about how to import heightmaps in UDK…