Hills with a specific grade

I am trying to figure this out myself, but I am having difficulty with it… I searched as well, but couldn’t find an answer.

Is there a way with WM to create a hill with a specific grade?

Say I want a hill with a 5% grade (rise 1meter per run of 20 meters), what would I need to do this?

Thanks.

There’s no automated way to do it, but You could figure this out with a little math.

For example, create a Radial Gradient using one of the shapes with linear sides (say, the pyramid shaped one).

If you want a 5% grade and the radius is 8km, then the hill should be 400m tall (8km * 1/20).

What about running a Scalar Generator into the Radial Gradient (with diamond or cone setting) and then you would be able to essentially go from a vertical slope to a flat horizontal slope in the scalar range of 0-1.
Maybe could convert the slope to want to radians and then get the 0-1 scalar value you need to plug into the Scalar Generator node.

Hummm, am I thinking about this correctly? For a 5% grade:

grade / 100 * 90 = degrees
5 / 100 * 90 = 4.5 degrees
and also
grade / 100 * Pi / 2 = radians
5 / 100 * 3.14159 / 2 = .0785 radians

Take the cosine of the radian angle to get the scalar value needed to put into the Scalar Generator node:
cos(radians) = scalar value
cos(.0785) = .99692

Been too long since I tried to do this stuff. :roll:

AFAIK slope percentages are not related to the angle but to the amount of height variation w.r.t the horizontal position. A 5% slope means 1 meter every 20 meters, not 5% of 90 degrees (tan(4.5) = .079, which is much larger than .05).

Bye!!!

Ah, I see. Thanks latego.

Sorry I haven’t been back to this topic. I was expecting to get an email when it was responded to I guess.

Yes, latego, that is correct. A 5% slope is approximately 2.86 degrees.

tan(A) = rise/run

So, in this case:
tan(a) = 1/20
tan(a) = .05 (.05 is the 5% grade).
a = 2.86 degrees

Thanks marmil, I’ll try that out with the formula changes noted above.

For future posts, make sure “Notify me of replies” is checked on the “Additional Options” below the text box, so that you are sent an email… To get that on by default, you need to go to your profile, and in “notifications and Email” check the option “Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.” 8)

Cheers,