I think I found a bug.

'ello, and please pardon my registry for only this one question.

I believe I’ve discovered a bug of some sort in WorldMachine. Lately, when I import a Terragen-made terrain, WM has been creating obscenely tall and unrealistic towers in my low spots. A screenshot of this can be found here.

Any support would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Hi there,

:shock: Indeed it looks buggy! Those “towers” correspond to the lowest places in the original terragen-made terrain… I just confirmed this, and it is replicable… I don’t remember if this is a known issue, or if it has been already fixed in the not-yet-available version 1.0, but i’ll make sure it isn’f forgotten. It looks like the input device making a positive number be below zero, something like 0xFF :slight_smile: For some testing I undertook, It appears to be related with scaling the original terragen terrain to WM’s dimensions (between 0 and 1)…

Anyway, sine a correction for this is going to take a while too long to reach everyones hands, I suggest the following work-arround:
:arrow: In terragen, before saving your file, choose Modify Terrain. Here, specify a value of 0 and 1 to the fields right of the Bound Vertical button. Then click that button… This apparently bypasses WM’s scaling process and avoids that buggy spike.

:!: Now that we are talking about bugs, let me just tell you about another one that is known and is solved for v1.0, which is if you want to refresh the file input, pressing the refresh from file button doesn’t work well :frowning: you need to check the Auto-refresh every build checkbox… In any casy, if it doesn’t work, delete the device and make a new one :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the feedback,

Cheers,

PS - Update: :? I think you need not bound the terrain between 0 and 1 in TG… Apperently It works with any number not fractional! Any integer value… So bounding your terrain between -239 and 921 should work… Just don’t bound it between -129.324 and 22.312! I think is because of floating point values that the bug occurs…

Hi,
I guess this isn’t a WM fault but a Terragen problem. from time to time Terragen produces terrains where the deepest parts are stored wrong. it looks like that this mostly happens if the terrain is below 0 level (or if the deepest parts are).