Layout Generator import problems.

Hi,

I’m trying to import some shapes and lines into the layout generator. for some reason, i am only able to select .svg. none of the .ai (cs2 and cs5) files show, and i am unable to change the filetype selection from svg. i saved the files out as svg with illustrator cs5 (in svg 1 and 1.1) and they import, however, every line that i had edited in illustrator seems to have reset to upper left corner. whether i scale on import or not. the svg files do render correctly in other svg viewers.
I’m working with map data converted to .svg. the raw map data will import correctly into world machine 2.2, but i had to clean it up a bit in illustrator. it seems like every path that i made a curve edit to is now importing incorrectly.
Any clue how i can fix the problems with svg, or how i can import .ai files instead?

No answer? Really? Isn’t this the developer forums?

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions!

AI import is actually rather complicated due to the continued evolution of the standard by Adobe. I intend to support it, but when SVG support is so relatively straightforward and almost all AI-related features are not imported in any case, SVG has sufficed for the moment.

Shapefile I/O is not nearly as robust and streamlined as I would like.I can take a look at one of the SVG files and see what is occuring – the more data I can digest on issues like this the more robust the importer/exporter can be!