Little Cliff Terraces

Hi, Hello

I’m trying to make these little terraces to prevent players wandering off the edge of the map.

Ideally I would draw them in layout generator and control where they appear

I’m hoping to have smooth rolling hills with the little Cliff Terraces in places.
I’ve been trying for days now with no success.

The picture below is not mine it from a video by a fantastic artist who’s videos I’ve been learning from. his channel is here http://www.youtube.com/user/wenda111287

It is really important to me because I don’t want to put mountains all the way around my terrain.

I appreciate any help, I’ve emailed Amir but I’m guessing he is very busy.

Roy

I think he’s doing a rough version in a sculpting tool first, then takes it into World Machine to add extra details such as erosion and other stuff.

I recently tried this, based on his videos, in 3D Coat. Worked out very well. You gain so much better control, and can take things to a new level.
In an article with Dice, they say they do the same for the Battlefield 3 and 4 landscapes. A rough shape in their Frostbite editor, and then make it look better in World Machine. It seems to be a common workflow.

I don’t know Mudbox (which Amir is using) or its pricing, but 3D Coat can do all the same stuff. To get started, you can get a version for just $99 :slight_smile:

Hmm, this is an interesting challenge – you’re quite right, WM doesn’t currently allow an easy way to create guided creases (terraces) in the terrain. I played around with a few ideas given existing devices with no go – most likely it will require a custom device.

I’ll put it on the dev backlog. Until then, I think the sculpt and import idea is probably the best bet.

Cheers